Adjusting CPU fan speed (Non-PWM)

Shingy

I'm using a Zalman ZM-F3BL as my CPU cooler along with the Prolimatech Megahelems Rev. B. It's a bit too loud for my liking at full speed, but with the adapter it came with its just not powerful enough for my liking. I want it to be somewhere in the middle, but I really don't want to buy anything to achieve this.

Is there a (free) way to change the speed of this 3-pin fan without having to buy a fan controller?

If the mobo being used supports cpu smart fan technology the fan could be plugged into the cpu_fan connector. Remember to enable the cpu smart fan technology in bios. Also, mobo's may be bundled with software which will allow the fan to be set at a user rpm.

Yes I have a three pin fan connected to a four pin pwm mobo connector, and it does control fan rpm. Connecting fans to mobo fan connectors is foolproof.

Edited by sticknstone

If the mobo being used supports cpu smart fan technology the fan could be plugged into the cpu_fan connector. Remember to enable the cpu smart fan technology in bios. Also, mobo's may be bundled with software which will allow the fan to be set at a user rpm.

Yes I have a three pin fan connected to a four pin pwm mobo connector, and it does control fan rpm. Connecting fans to mobo fan connectors is foolproof.

Ok thanks.