GTX 470 Overclocking BIG PROBLEM

iNfRaSoNIC

Hello, I've done some trouble and need some help. Ok, I overclocked my brand new Galaxy GTX 470 GC 803/2020/1606 with 1.1v my temp in furmatk and kombustor was 102 degrees but in neavy gaming no more then 80. But yesterday i run kombustor again and when the temp go to 100 degrees the pc shut down and died. I cannot run it anymore with my GTX 470 it just flash for a second and nothing happens. But when I unplug the two 6pins from the GPU and the PC starst, the card runs and the fan is glowing. Ok, now I tryed with my old 4850 GPU. With this card the PC runs but there are big vertical artefacts all over the screen they are like snow dots or something I can explain it... i changed tge motherboard and again the same thing. With 4850 pc runs but there is 4-5 vertical lines which bluring the hole monitor even in BIOS. When i connect again the GTX 470 and nothing, when I unplug the 6 pins and the card runs but ofcourse i cannot get to the system. So, I think i shoudnt fryed or killed the card but maybe the PSU? My card clock was 803/2020/1606 and my E7300 from 2.66 to 3.95 with 1.4voltage is it possible that the CPU Cooler Master 650W died or just something happend and now this PSU is unable to start my GTX470 but starts Radeon HD4850 becouse of lower watt usage? I think if the card is dead during high voltages or freyd it shouldnt start at all. Please tell my that my card is OK but i jsut need a new PSU!? Thanks.

Hello, I've done some trouble and need some help. Ok, I overclocked my brand new Galaxy GTX 470 GC 803/2020/1606 with 1.1v my temp in furmatk and kombustor was 102 degrees but in neavy gaming no more then 80. But yesterday i run kombustor again and when the temp go to 100 degrees the pc shut down and died. I cannot run it anymore with my GTX 470 it just flash for a second and nothing happens. But when I unplug the two 6pins from the GPU and the PC starst, the card runs and the fan is glowing. Ok, now I tryed with my old 4850 GPU. With this card the PC runs but there are big vertical artefacts all over the screen they are like snow dots or something I can explain it... i changed tge motherboard and again the same thing. With 4850 pc runs but there is 4-5 vertical lines which bluring the hole monitor even in BIOS. When i connect again the GTX 470 and nothing, when I unplug the 6 pins and the card runs but ofcourse i cannot get to the system. So, I think i shoudnt fryed or killed the card but maybe the PSU? My card clock was 803/2020/1606 and my E7300 from 2.66 to 3.95 with 1.4voltage is it possible that the CPU Cooler Master 650W died or just something happend and now this PSU is unable to start my GTX470 but starts Radeon HD4850 becouse of lower watt usage? I think if the card is dead during high voltages or freyd it shouldnt start at all. Please tell my that my card is OK but i jsut need a new PSU!? Thanks.

From what it sounds like, your PSU is fried since there are artifacts even in the BIOS. Graphics cards do not initiate until after bios loads so I would assume your 470 is alright. Plus those cards are meant to handle temps up to 105C before they downclock themselves and shut off. I would recommend getting at least a 750W PSU unless you go with a 650W from Corsair (I don't trust other PSUs and Corsair has great ratings, you get what you pay for).

On another note, cards should not be allowed to get that hot in the first place. I have heard that for constant usage such as folding, they should be kept around 80C, max 90C for shorter gaming sessions.