OC: Sabertooth X58 + i7 920 D0

seesee

Hello Guys. I am trying to overclock to achieves the best voltage and BCLK ratio.

my current settings are

Ai Overclock Tuner: XML

CoreRatio: 20 * BCLK:195

VCore: 1.32

DRAM V: 1.5

Auto for the rest

Temp Stable @ 75~80

I can't run prime85 for more than 3 hours, any help please? I tried increase the PLL but it just got worst.

Stable Settings

=================

21m x 175 @ 1.225V

21m x 180 @ 1.275V

20m x 190 @ 1.28750V

Questions:

** I keep getting BSOD ntoskrnl.exe , can someone help me with this? thanks

3) Lastly did I miss out any setting?

Updates:

I decided to resolve the ram issues later, since the variable that affects BSOD is related to QPI/DRAM voltage.

Back to question 2, is there anyway to increase the 175 BCLK without increase the CPU Voltage?

System Spec:

i7 920 D0

Asus Sabertooth X58

GSKILL DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) F3-12800CL7-2GBPI

H70

HAF-X

Intel X-25M 120GB

Palit GTS 460 Sonic 2 GB

Edited by seesee

What brand and part number memory are you running? Specs of the memory? i.e. factory recommended voltage and timings...............

With a blck of 180 and using a cpu multiplier of 21 you're currently running at 3.780Ghz @ 1.275 volts

That's about right.

Since increasing your bclk without changing your cpu multiplier increases your cpu operating fequency, you'll have to scale voltage accordingly

Here is something you could try;

bclk [200]

cpu multiplier [20]

memory multiplier [8] i.e. 1600Mhz

cpu voltage [1.28v]

qpi/vtt [1.30v] this setting is very important for stabilizing your memory speed and timings

cpu pll [1.86v]

Manually enter in the four primary memory timings and memory voltage as specd by the manufacturer.

Edited by wevsspot

What brand and part number memory are you running? Specs of the memory? i.e. factory recommended voltage and timings...............

With a blck of 180 and using a cpu multiplier of 21 you're currently running at 3.780Ghz @ 1.275 volts

That's about right.

Since increasing your bclk without changing your cpu multiplier increases your cpu operating fequency, you'll have to scale voltage accordingly

Here is something you could try;

bclk [200]

cpu multiplier [20]

memory multiplier [8] i.e. 1600Mhz

cpu voltage [1.28v]

qpi/vtt [1.30v] this setting is very important for stabilizing your memory speed and timings

cpu pll [1.86v]

Manually enter in the four primary memory timings and memory voltage as specd by the manufacturer.

GSKILL DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) F3-12800CL7-2GBPI

I have also updated the main topic, thanks

The setting for ram is according to factory 1.5v 7-8-7-24, if I am not wrong the XMS take care of the ram CLK setting automatically.

I'm not sure you can change the DRAM ratio on the LGA 1366 platforms (otherwise someone can enlighten me). It runs at whatever BCLK frequency you have. So 200 BCLK at x21 = 4.2GHz at 1600MHz (200 x 8) DRAM speeds. A 180 BCLK at x21 = 3.78GHz at 1440MHz (180 x 8).

You can change the memory multiplier on the Asus 1366 boards, but in a strange way. You can't actually choose the memory multiplier (say like x8) but whenever you change the bclk you are presented with a refreshed list of available resulting memory frequencies based on the common multipliers and current bclk. If that make sense.

To the OP.

You'll probably need a definite bump in the QPI/VTT to keep those tight timings on the RAM at DDR3 1600 speeds while overclocking your cpu. I'd start at 1.25v QPI/VTT and work your way up from there.

Regards,

Edited by wevsspot

You can change the memory multiplier on the Asus 1366 boards, but in a strange way. You can't actually choose the memory multiplier (say like x8) but whenever you change the bclk you are presented with a refreshed list of available resulting memory frequencies based on the common multipliers and current bclk. If that make sense.

Omg, so that's how you do it! Lol, I thought it was the other way around! I can't wait until I get home and try it. :doh:

AI Tweaker Menu > DRAM Frequency > Change from Auto and you'll see the list of available memory frequencies based on the BCLK

You can find further details in your user's manual on page 3-14

Regards,

Yeah, I don't run it on Auto. What I did before was choose the DRAM Frequency first (naturally keeping it at 1600MHz speeds), then changed the BCLK. It doesn't seem like it'd be any difference which was chosen first, but I'll see when I get home.

Thanks all for your contribution

Current Setting

CoreRatio: 21 * BCLK: 185 = 3855

VCore: 1.275

Updates:

I decided to resolve the ram issues later, since the variable that affects RAM related BSOD is related to QPI/DRAM voltage.

Back to question 2, is there anyway to increase the 175 BCLK without increase the CPU Voltage?

I keep getting ntoskrnl.exe BSOD related issue.. how to solve it?

Edited by seesee

seesee,

It's a pretty standard recommendation when overclocking the socket 1366 i7 platform to increase QPI/DRAM/VTT (or whatever your particular BIOS calls it) to the neighborhood of 1.3v or equal to your cpu voltage.

I still think you're light on the cpu voltage for 3.855Ghz. IMHO you should start your cpu voltage and your QPI/VTT voltage at 1.30v and work your way down from there.

I thought I answered the question about bclk and voltage - but I guess not.

When you start pushing your bclk you need to consider two voltages;

1. NB Voltage - it directly affects your ability to hit sustained and stable bclks above 160

2. CPU Voltage - since your cpu operating frequency increases with the bclk (unless you reduce your cpu multiplier) then you have to juice the cpu at some point. What point that is depends on the quality of the cpu to begin with.