RAID0 caused lower PCMark05 score??

Chris_Trooper

Title says it all.

I have recently upgraded from a single 80gb Seagate Barracuda to 2 80gb Seagates in RAID0. The stripe size is 128k and its set as "Bootable" because i have win xp 32bit installed on it. I also have a seperate 160gb Seagate Barracuda for all my improtants files.

On my old setup my highest PCMark05 score was 5798. Since setting up the RAID0 my highest score has been 5302.

The main reason i reinstalled windows with the RAID0 was to increase performance. All my overclock settings are the same as they were before (PC specs are in my sig)

Can anyone shed any light?

I'd say to run Crystal Disk Mark, and see what your read/write speeds are!

I'm not sure what kind of weight PCMark05 gives disk space, or speed for that matter?

But if your only reason to build a raid-0 array was to get a better score in PCMark05, then I'd suggest just going back to the way it was!

Not sure what else to tell you, but I like a Raid-0 array, for the quicker read/write times.

I hear SSD's do very well in PCMark05!

RAID 0 arrays increase sustained throughput and can slightly hurt access times depending on the controller and drives. PCMark probably tests IOPs (I/O operations per second) and having a RAID set might lower this score slightly.

Ok i might give that a go. I have noticed faster speeds in application loading, windows loading, and almost everything else that uses the RAID HDDs. I was just curious if i missed a setting or something. I think for the sake of a slightly lower PCMark score, i will leave it how it is. My main aim was to improve game performance. Maps load quicker in call of duty MW2 and the game just seems to run smoother. I think i will put this issue to bed now lol. Thanks for all your help in the other thread too :D

Guest ajmatson

Also one thing to note is the larger striping size if good for moving large data but small files used in most benchmarks it might hurt the scores. I normally run a 64K stripe size for a good balance and usually get pretty good results with it imho :)