RAM bottlenecking my CPU and GPU?

SirViP

Hi guys, I recently built my first custom gaming rig :biggrin: I moved up from a dell that has a intel processor that ran at 2.8ghz dual core combined with 4 gb ram and a crappy ati hd 4350. I noticed a somewhat increase in performance (I guess 15%) in terms of graphics, but processor-wise I feel I should be getting much more. On 3dMark 06 I ran a full test and all the graphics tests were fine, but the cpu tests were outright horrible (around 2 fps literally) so I figured my RAM was bottlenecking it. So I overclocked my 965 from 3.4 to 3.8 and changed the default timings on the RAM from 9-9-9-24 to 8-8-8-24. I got one blue screen so I adjusted the voltages a bit higher from factory settings (dont have the exact voltages to give you as my custom is at home). The FPS didn't increase at all in the CPU test, so I'm guessing I overclocked improperly.

I'm using:

Amd Phenom II 965 BE

G skill Ripjaws 4gb 1600

MSI Lightning II ATI 5870

500 GB Western Digital Caviar black

Gigabyte 880GA-UD3H Mother board

600w coolermaster silent pro

My Lightning II has both of its 8-pin power connectors connected. Thanks guys!

Edited by SirViP

SirVp

The 3DMark06 CPU benchmarks will bring even monster processors to their knees. Your CPU benchmarks aren't that much different than what most everyone else experiences. I don't see mention what exact memory that you're running, but I highly doubt it is causing a bottleneck. I'm assuming DDR3 1066, 1333 or 1600...................... in a 4Gb or 8Gb configuration?

Edited by wevsspot

Ah, ok. Thanks, I thought it was something I did wrong. And I posted my RAM, G skill ripjaws 4gb 1600. I placed the 2 sticks in the 2 white slots on the mobo (2 and 4 for dual channel performance), I didnt place it in 1 and 3 because 1 almost touches my arctic cooler cpu cooler. Besides all that, what should my cpu voltage be for 3.8 ghz and my timings/voltage for my RAM for optimal performance?

And I posted my RAM, G skill ripjaws 4gb 1600

Yep, see it now that I'm paying closer attention :)

Your opportunity with that kit of RAM isn't so much in tighter timings, but in increased frequency. That particular kit will do DDR3 1700 - 1750 with default timings and voltage between 1.62 - 1.65v

You can probably get DDR3 1800Mhz with timings of 9-9-9-24 2T

Regarding your CPU voltage - I wouldn't recommend over 1.41v for 24/7 overclocking. Even at that voltage you need to make sure you've got to make sure your temps stay in check.

I noticed a significant increase in my gpus performance after I raised the cpu to 3.8 . . . so my cpu was bottlenecking my gpu for sure. And thanks wevs, I'll try that config. And my default voltage for cpu is 1.5, and now it idles at 41c.

If your still using 3D06 for your gauge, 3D06 is a very cpu dependent benchmark, so higher cpu clocks will get you better scores.

41C for just idle is a bit high!

Have you tried running Prime 95, using small fft's for 2 hours???

That will show you a good indicator if your getting close to, or exceeding your max temps!

I noticed a significant increase in my gpus performance after I raised the cpu to 3.8 . . . so my cpu was bottlenecking my gpu for sure. And thanks wevs, I'll try that config. And my default voltage for cpu is 1.5, and now it idles at 41c.

I wouldn't go over 1.45 volts for your vcore without water/extreme cooling. Also - 3dMark06 is a horrible GPU test - it mainly relies on pure CPU speed with newer video cards.

Hmm, I ran prime 95 last night, it failed the 3rd test and crashed . . . this morning i adjusted to 3.7 and default cpu voltages then ran 6 tests without an error, I seem stable, idling at 33.5C. I'm about to try your config for the ram wevs. I'll try playing crysis after as a test xD

Oh wevs, I tried doing those settings, but my mobo has up to 8x multiplier for the ram, making 1600 the max . . . and 1.65v for ram starts to show up in the red section on the mobo . . . I think I'm good with 3.7 for cpu at default volt and 1600 8-8-8-24 for ram at 1.54v. I'll post what my bios looks like later in the evening so you can check my settings . . . thanks :D