Power Supply Fan Direction

I am currently building a computer system using the Antec df-85 and Antec EarthWatts 750W PSU.

I am waiting for the last of my components to arrive, but I have prepped my system for when they do arrive. This means my motherboard and PSU are currently in my case.

The problem I have run in to is that my case mounts PSUs at the bottom instead of the top, so I have to flip my PSU upside down for the fan to be pointing towards the middle of my case.

My question is, should I keep it flipped upside down, or place it right side up regardless of the fan.

I see a couple of problems either way:

If it is placed upside down, there will be more wire clutter in the bottom of my case possibly causing higher temps, because the wires come out of the PSU on the wrong side.

But, the fan will be facing my motherboard

If it is placed right side up, the fan faces the bottom of my case, which I imagine isn't beneficial to temperature control.

The Antec df-85 does seem to have a lot of cooling so maybe the difference between either option will not be noticeable?

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice. This is my first build and I appreciate the help

In most PC's with the power supply mounted at the top of the case the power supply fan is part of the overall PC cooling system in that it sucks warm air out of the enclosure, through the power supply and exhausts it out the back. This isn't ideal because the air going into the power supply is already warmed by the rest of the components in the enclosure which in turn leads to a higher operating temperature in the power supply, it's the way it's done and not normally a problem.

The power supply has to be mounted upside down in the Antec DF-85 or you'll restrict the amount of air entering the power supply and it will overheat. You'll have the same number of wires whether it's top or bottom mounted but because they are more visible and a little harder to hide on some cases with bottom mounted power supplies you'll have to be a little more careful with cable routing and fixing to make it look tidy.

If your modding skills are up to it then you could mount the power supply with the fan on the base of the enclosure but you'd have to cut a large hole, cooling fan diameter and preferably with a dust filter, in the base for the power supply cooling fan. This way the power supply would suck cooler room air in and it's working temperature would be reduced but you'd have to improve overall enclosure cooling because your power supply wouldn't be involved. The PC would have to have space underneath so sitting it on a hard surface and not carpet is the only option.

Two choices really, mount the power supply cooling fan up or modify your case and improve the enclosure cooling if you can?

Yeah, what Paul said is accurate. The DF-85 (and a lot of Antec cases actually) has no vents or anything on the bottom where the power supply goes. Only option is to have the PSU mounted so the fan is facing upwards. Having it face downwards without any modding like Paul described will cause the PSU to overheat. So, mount it fan facing up or modify the case, your choice. But do not mount it fan facing down without cutting some holes in the bottom, results wouldn't be pretty without a mod.

pretty silly of case makers not to put a hole down there if thats where ur gona mount the psu!

The case doesn't need an hole on the base really you just mount the power supply "upside down". Many power supplies these days have some sort of logo on the side that's inverted on the opposite face so you can invert it and still read the logo.

Oh ok, sorry about that. I guess I shouldn't have posted without looking into the case. I just assumed it had a vent in the bottom under the PSU.

They should have a vent in the bottom to give you the option but I guess not in this case. No pun intended! ;)

The case doesn't need an hole on the base really you just mount the power supply "upside down". Many power supplies these days have some sort of logo on the side that's inverted on the opposite face so you can invert it and still read the logo.

Yeah, plus the DF-85 has support for Antec's CPX series of power supplies which have the fan at the rear and not the top/bottom. The Antec Quattro and Signature series are the same way.

Yeah, plus the DF-85 has support for Antec's CPX series of power supplies which have the fan at the rear and not the top/bottom. The Antec Quattro and Signature series are the same way.

I'm currently running the Antec Signature and it's as you say. It maybe makes sense because the cooler air is going to be at the bottom of the enclosure, good for the power supply but you'd probably need better case cooling to extract the warm air from the top?

I'm currently running the Antec Signature and it's as you say. It maybe makes sense because the cooler air is going to be at the bottom of the enclosure, good for the power supply but you'd probably need better case cooling to extract the warm air from the top?

Yeah, which is why I always advocate cases with a top mounted fan or two. Lot of the Antecs have that since they probably figure you'll buy an Antec case and an Antec PSU. Rear mounted exhaust fan on the PSU, top mounted exhaust fan on the case to help pull more air out... least thats how I imagine their planning is. :lol: