Help with CPU cooler choises

Jorund

Wow, that's again impressive.. I've been doing a bit of research about the H50 and some people are complaining about it taking hot air IN the case instead of out with a pull/push config. And now that I'm looking a bit at the cm 690 II a, there is really a lot of fan option and I think I'll let it take in and blow it upwards with 2 fans from the bottom and 2 on the top since heat rises..

Anyway, sorry going a bit of topic! A few questions about the H50; It comes with 1 fan included, is it possible to mount 2 fans on it? I know it's possible, I've seen it on youtube, but I mean without any modding? And as for my second question, do you recommend any good fans that would be ideal for this cooler instead of the rather noisy and boring looking corsair fans?

Cheers, J.

You can easily mount 2 fans on each side w/o having to mod anything! I had it mounted to one of the rear exhaust fans on my Antec 1200. I know that there has been a lot of talk about mounting it on the exhaust fan and having it pull the hot air from the case, but like I said I got my i7 930 up to 4.2GHz this way! If you want to go with something quiet and still able to push solid CFM then the yate loon fans are prob a good choice. But, they do fall in the boring looking category with the Corsair stock fan since they are all black. If you are wanting the fans to go with a color scheme, then your prob going to want to look at LED fans!

If you want a 2 fan set up why dont you just get the H70 I think I read somewhere that the rad is a little bigger plus it comes with 2 fans and everything you need

Also comes with a bigger price tag as well! For $50-$70 more, depending on where you buy it, not sure if a slight performance increase from the H50 is worth it IMO

Edited by SpeedwayNative

I got mine for 99.99 at frys about a week ago so yeah its not that much more and its $105 on Newegg plus it looks alot nicer than the H50 thats what sold me on it.

No doubt at $20 difference it would be worth it, but on a few deal sites I use I see the H50 go for around $50 quite a bit, just have to find them! But, if there not around then for $99.99 @ Fry's is a good buy!

If you want a 2 fan set up why dont you just get the H70 I think I read somewhere that the rad is a little bigger plus it comes with 2 fans and everything you need

Yes, thank's for bringing that up. While looking at the H50 I saw the H70 come by and looked into it a bit. But I don't think I'll need it since the H50 with the right configuration should do well enough for my CPU which isn't OC'ed yet.

You can easily mount 2 fans on each side w/o having to mod anything! I had it mounted to one of the rear exhaust fans on my Antec 1200. I know that there has been a lot of talk about mounting it on the exhaust fan and having it pull the hot air from the case, but like I said I got my i7 930 up to 4.2GHz this way! If you want to go with something quiet and still able to push solid CFM then the yate loon fans are prob a good choice. But, they do fall in the boring looking category with the Corsair stock fan since they are all black. If you are wanting the fans to go with a color scheme, then your prob going to want to look at LED fans!

Also comes with a bigger price tag as well! For $50-$70 more, depending on where you buy it, not sure if a slight performance increase from the H50 is worth it IMO

Alright, that's great. I'm thinking about putting 2x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm on it pulling the hot air inside and getting it out from the top with 2x Thermaltake Turbo fan 140mm which will be pushed more upwards from the bottom by the CM front fan that comes with the case and 2x Enermax Magma 120mm. To me this really seems more then adequate and if not I'll always have the option to put something on the side panel. I realize that the gentle typhoons look boring as well but I really don't want a disco in my room and neither doese my wife. (proberly even a bit more then me...) And later I might attempt to spray paint some parts if really necessary.

I appreciate the help and I'm almost through my research and ready to order but still one tiny question remains;

The Sythe gentle typhoon comes with different RPM speeds, I'm wondering if the 1150RPM version will be enough for the H50 radiator or should I go for more power and take the 1850RPM version?

Alright, I have made my decisions and will go with the Corsair H50 for my Phenom II 940 x4.

And as addition I've made an illustation of the fan configuration I want to use in my new CM 690 II advanced. (See Attachments)

I would appreciate it if you would tell me whatyou think of it and if I should change anything or not. This is the first time that I'm going to do this completely on my own so this configuration is based on simple logic and a little internet research about what other people were doing and saying.

And again, thank you all for the helpful comments, it was really an enjoyeble first topic on the occ forum.

Jorund.

(additional info: I didn't include the fan of my GPU in the illustration. The arrows illustrate the direction of air flow, nothing else.)

post-73125-12836235103675_thumb.jpg