Failed Overclock

Ok so im typin this on my laptop now because i pretty epicly failed my 4.2Ghz overclock and i need to reset my CMOS now because my computer wont boot back the ICH10R phase, it freezes before the Raid initializes Lol... But here are my 4.0Ghz Bios Settings....

Ai Overclock Tuner.....................[Manual]

CPU Ratio Setting......................[Auto]

Intel® SpeedStep™ Tech............[ Enabled]

Xtreme Phase Full Power Mode...........[Enabled]

BCLK Frequency.........................[182]

PCIE Frequency.........................[100]

DRAM Frequency.........................[DDR3-1459MHz]

UCLK Frequency.........................[2919MHz]

QPI Link Data Rate.....................[6568MT/s]

CPU Voltage Control....................[Manual]

CPU Voltage............................[1.27500]

CPU PLL Voltage........................[1.88]

QPI/DRAM Core Voltage..................[1.30000]

IOH Voltage............................[1.20]

IOH PCIE Voltage.......................[Auto]

ICH Voltage............................[1.20]

ICH PCIE Voltage.......................[Auto]

DRAM Bus Voltage.......................[1.64]

DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHA...........[Auto]

DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHA...........[Auto]

DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHB...........[Auto]

DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHB...........[Auto]

DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHC...........[Auto]

DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHC...........[Auto]

Load-Line Calibration..................[Enabled]

CPU Differential Amplitude.............[800mV]

CPU Clock Skew.........................[Auto]

CPU Spread Spectrum....................[Disabled]

IOH Clock Skew.........................[Auto]

PCIE Spread Spectrum...................[Disabled]

C1E Support............................[Enabled]

Hardware Prefetcher....................[Enabled]

Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch...........[Enabled]

Intel® Virtualization Tech...........[Enabled]

CPU TM Function........................[Enabled]

Execute Disable Bit....................[Enabled]

Intel® HT Technology.................[Enabled]

Active Processor Cores.................[All]

A20M...................................[Disabled]

Intel® SpeedStep™ Tech............[Enabled]

Intel® C-STATE Tech..................[Disabled]

Dont forget Every chip is different so so you may need to increase the vcore alil, i didnt spend anytime fine tuning the vcore yet. But with this i can pass Small and Large FFT's all night long. But i was messing with some of my ram timings and now i can no longer pass Large FFT... Small FFT is fine 1+ hours. So im pretty sure its not my CPU... As you can see i actually use the x22 multiplier, Goes against pretty much every i7-930 overclocking thing ive ever read but screw that, i paid for turbo boost and an x22 multiplier, so im damn well gonna find a way to put it to use! Lol. So far though 4.0Ghz relatively stable!

**Good News!** I got my desktop to boot with out clearing my CMOS and its at 4.2Ghz, but i had to stop using speedstep and drop to the 21x Multiplier... lamerz! Lol I knew there was gonna be a point where i could no longer be cool like that, but still im happy i got to 4.0Ghz with my x22 Multi... time to to Crash and burn on Prime95 baby!

Edited by MercuryDoun

Just discussing... We dont have the same Ram so i cant imagine my individual Ram timings would make any difference to you. Heh... So made it through Prime95 Small FFT for over an hour at 4.2Ghz... i hate to say it but x21 Multiplier really is alot easier to work with... BLAH! Lol I really wanted to be cool and run with x22... im at 1.35vcore right now and 81c hottest core... i think im gonna make a run at 4.4 for crap and giggles...

I guess you should really try 191 x 21... Use all the same settings i posted, but turn off speedstep and rock 191 x 21... You should hit that easy, then play with rasing bclk if you wanna go higher, or lowering vcore to fine tune the OC.

Hey Speed,

Been doing some testing this weekend. I got 4.0 stable as a rock at both x21 and x22, and got 4.2Ghz stable at x21... i thought you might like my settings. Use most of the settings i gave before, cept disable speedstep. cpu pll, IOH, ICH dont change.

4.0Ghz -- 191x21 @ 1.25vcore, QPI = 1.3v --- Cant seem to find my CPU-z Screenshot of 4.0

4.2Ghz -- 201x21 @ 1.28vcore, QPI = 1.35v --- shown below

I didnt have time to tighten the vcore and get the lowest voltage possible yet at those clocks. But they work plenty fine and run through Prime95 no problem. Ill work on finding most efficient vcore after i get 4.4Ghz if its even possible...

So far my efforts with 4.4 havent been good... I can get 4.4 to boot and get into windows. But it blue screens at any kind of load. Even at 1.4vcore it still wont take any sort of load. very disappointing, i think vcore isnt the issue, with 4.2Ghz perfectly fine at 1.28v i cant believe 4.4Ghz still wouldnt work yet at 1.4v... gonna take ALOT more fine tuning to get it i think, think it could have something to do with QPI. Im also not so sure my cooling is gonna hold out for 4.4Ghz... I attached my 4.4Ghz since i could boot with it. Too bad its not usable...

post-73007-12830604079576_thumb.png

post-73007-12830604187734_thumb.png

You could copy them by hand onto paper and then instead of typing them out copy paste my list and just change what you need to.

Just snap a pic with his phone, email it to himself and upload it to imageshack or photo bucket.

Edited by Drdeath

Yeah the whole pencil and paper thing was never gonna happen. I considered a picture but was lazy. I just copy pasted his BIO's settings and altered them to show what i had, we have the same MoBo so nothing changed.