Q9550 stock cooler to 3.00GHz

As the title says I'd like to OC my Q9550 from 2.83GHz to 3.00GHz on stock cooler (or could it get higher then this, but stable?), I've never done overclocking but I now where to find it in BIOS, what do I have to change?

Overclocking on the stock cooler is asking for trouble. While that is only a mild overclock, it would probably be a good idea to get an aftermarket cooler.

The location for options for overclocking can vary from board to board because the BIOS versions vary also (as in between board models and brands). Just browse through the BIOS until you find them.

Are you using a "name brand" PC such as HP, Acer, Toshiba, etc.? If so, I doubt there will be options for overclocking so your search efforts may be in vain.

Overclocking on the stock cooler is asking for trouble. While that is only a mild overclock, it would probably be a good idea to get an aftermarket cooler.

The location for options for overclocking can vary from board to board because the BIOS versions vary also (as in between board models and brands). Just browse through the BIOS until you find them.

Are you using a "name brand" PC such as HP, Acer, Toshiba, etc.? If so, I doubt there will be options for overclocking so your search efforts may be in vain.

I got a custom build pc, so I can change settings in the BIOS, what should I change?

What's your board?

I can't say that I'm an avid overclocker or that I have much experience with overclocking. Before you try to adjust things, maybe you should wait for one of the local pros to post.

Edited by Miek

What's your board?

I can't say that I'm an avid overclocker or that I have much experience with overclocking. Before you try to adjust things, maybe you should wait for one of the local pros to post.

Asus P5Q Deluxe

okay. its very easy, go to bios, and go to Ai Tuner.

then set the ai overclock tuner to manual.

type in 353 for the fsb. you should have your 3ghz there.

if you want to go higher set 376fsb. That gives you 3.2ghz, which is probably the highest you want to go with stock cooling.

Also, after the fsb adjustments, lower your dram frequency. You want your ram to run at its stock speed or lower for stability after overclocking. so if your mem runs at 800mhz stock, anything within the 667-850mhz range would be fine.

okay. its very easy, go to bios, and go to Ai Tuner.

then set the ai overclock tuner to manual.

type in 353 for the fsb. you should have your 3ghz there.

if you want to go higher set 376fsb. That gives you 3.2ghz, which is probably the highest you want to go with stock cooling.

Also, after the fsb adjustments, lower your dram frequency. You want your ram to run at its stock speed or lower for stability after overclocking. so if your mem runs at 800mhz stock, anything within the 667-850mhz range would be fine.

I'll try it later today, my RAM is standar @ 1066MHz?