Overclocking Kingston HyperX DDR3 2000Mhz (KHX2000C9AD3T1K3/6GX)

leecka

Having OC my i7 930, I am now OCing my ram

Without changing any timings or voltages, I can get the ram to go up to 2046Mhz.

I want to get it to 2100mhz.

I have tried increasing the voltage gradually from 1.66v to 1.8v. But after about 2 minutes of Prime95, I get BSOD.

I tried increasing the timings from 9-10-9-27 (default) to 15-15-15-31. BSOD.

I read in reviews that my ram could go as high as 2145Mhz.

Suggestions

Thanks

First thing. Intel say don't use vDIMM above 1.65v. I would advise you not to go past 1.7v. Secondly you most likely need more vQPI at that RAM speed. What is is at currently?

QPI/VTT voltage is on auto @ 1.175v

Should I increase that? by how much?

suggestions

First, you are not going to see much, IF ANY, difference in real world performance between 2000 and 2100 MHz.

If you have to loosen up your timings to gain 100 MHz it is really not worth it at all. Try upping the VTT voltage and leave the same 9-10-9-27 timings and see if it will stabilize,

if not don't even worry about it and be happy with 2000 MHz, that's a lot faster than most people are running.

VTT spec is 1.35v so keeping it under that would be good.

First, you are not going to see much, IF ANY, difference in real world performance between 2000 and 2100 MHz.

If you have to loosen up your timings to gain 100 MHz it is really not worth it at all. Try upping the VTT voltage and leave the same 9-10-9-27 timings and see if it will stabilize,

if not don't even worry about it and be happy with 2000 MHz, that's a lot faster than most people are running.

I guess you are right. I should be happy with what I have already.

But I have been OCing my system lately, so it was the logical next step after a stable OCed CPU.

I will have another couple of goes and if it doesn't OC that well, I will move on to my GTX480.