Noctua NH-U12P

Miek

I plan on using the Noctua NH-U12P in my build, 2 fans in push/pull.

Would there be enough room to use RAM that has heatsinks on it? I'm notably looking at a set of G. Skill Ripjaws. They'll be going into an MSI P55-GD65.

There are a few other RAM kits I'm looking at (from Corsair, Patriot, Kingston, Mushkin) that all have heatsinks on them. Will the heatsinks interfere? Should I just get RAM with heatspreaders only?

One other thing worth noting: I probably won't be overclocking much, so I'm not sure that the NH-U12P is fully necessary- Would "downgrading" to the NH-U9B leave more room? Or, better yet, is there a cooler that performs well that doesn't interfere with the RAM?

well im guessing you are using intel so yes i think so, from what ive seen ,this heatsing goes; fans to the side for intel. and fans at the top/bottom for amd. If I were to try and change my ram its off with the heatsink.

Will the 940g weight of the NH-U12P cause problems when the cooler is installed? I'm afraid of my motherboard bending.

Which way should I orient the cooler? Air blowing towards the back of the top of the PC?

Is it true that in some cases using dual fans can actually decrease the cooling performance?

- If "yes," why?

Will the 940g weight of the NH-U12P cause problems when the cooler is installed? I'm afraid of my motherboard bending.

Which way should I orient the cooler? Air blowing towards the back of the top of the PC?

Is it true that in some cases using dual fans can actually decrease the cooling performance?

- If "yes," why?

I use one on all of my air cooled rigs and the weight is of no concern unless you plan on making the rounds to all the LAN parties in your area. In that case just be careful. I have yet to snap a board or cause a problem with a heavyweight heatsink. That was more of a concern when heatsinks were attached to the socket and not the board.

My only concert is this: In a few months, I'll be moving to attend university. I'll have to transport my computer in a vehicle for about six hours. Will that risk damage?

What if I were to lay the PC on its side and have it sitting on something soft and padded so it doesn't move? It'll be mostly highway travel.

That sounds like it would be the best course of action.

At that, though, I'd almost be tempted to simply use the stock cooler until I move as it'd only be for a month or two.

It's just that I heard the stock Intel HSF can be a nightmare and a half to attach.