OC Temperatures for i7-930

Good info. I'll leave it on for the time being as I don't think it will really affect me in any noticeable way. So in keeping the previous settings, I idle in the mid 40's, full load takes me into the high 80's, and "normal high-intensity" usage at about 77% put me in the mid-70's. Does this sound pretty stable for a long-term overclock, having re-enabled SpeedStep and C1E? It may be worth mentioning that the ambient temperature in my room is typically about 78 F which would probably be lower at any other family's house and will definitely be once I'm back in school.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats an interesting clip over at youtube. There are about four primary things that affect how your TIM coverage spreads and cures;

Amount of TIM applied

Methodology of application (i.e. pea, line, bb, smiley etc.)

Pressure

Heat

The guy does a good job of showing how the different methods spread the paste, but he doesn't take into account exact mounting pressure or heat.

Once the cpu heats up, the viscosity of the TIM decreases causing the TIM to disperse even further than at ambient temperatures. Since the TIM has no where else to go except outward, it will flow to the outer edges of the IHS. A more thorough demonstration would have included a copper block heated to say 50C mounted on an arbor with a pressure gage.

I still think that the bb/pea method works the best.

The exposed heatpipe design coolers, as the OP is using, would also vary in application due to the gaps between the heatpipes and base.

I've always found the small line on each pipe (after filling the gaps) to work best in that type of cooler.

The exposed heatpipe design coolers, as the OP is using, would also vary in application due to the gaps between the heatpipes and base.

I've always found the small line on each pipe (after filling the gaps) to work best in that type of cooler.

Super observation. Pretty much everything we've been discussing has been focused on solid base heatsink coolers.

Super observation. Pretty much everything we've been discussing has been focused on solid base heatsink coolers.

I HOPE THIS IS NOT A RECOMMENDATION TO RE-APPLY THE THERMAL COMPOUND FOR THE 4TH TIME.

[/capslock]

:P

Since RJR is a reviewer and he has experience with exposed heat pipe coolers, I would and go with his recommendations. He reviews hardware all year long and he knows all of the "tricks of the trade".

Well.......... :thumbsup:

RJR is a reviewer, and he did point out that you are using an exposed heatpipe cooler. And he does have experience with that type of cooler........ So if I were you I would forget what anyone else has said (including me) and go with his recommendation. But that's just me :) Let's assume that since he reviews hardware all year long he probably knows all of the "tricks of the trade".

Haha, thanks so much for the tips guys. Honestly, you've all been extremely helpful and I'm really happy with the way it's turned out so far. :biggrin:

D3PyroGS, glad things are going good for you, Wevs and The DR are very knowledgeable and I'm glad they were able to help you this time and I'm sure would be very helpful to you in the future if needed.

No No No RJR - I'm not being contentious. My use of underlined words was intended to highlight the fact that you are a reviewer and you have a lot more experience with this type of thing than me. I wasn't trying to be a smarty britches. Please please accept my apologies if that is the way you took it.