ALC889A: rear speakers not working

ramik

I have been using since few years the Creative Inspire 4.1 speakers, and they worked well with my old system, which had a Realtek ALC850 8-channel audio (AC'97 drivers), and with Windows 7 X64 everything was working just fine.

Now with the new system i built, based on a GigaByte MA790FXT-UD5P, which uses a Realtek ALC 889a chipset, i am not able to make the rear speakers work. i installed the latest realtek drivers (2.49), but the rear speakers are not working... what am i doing wrong?

i tried with the jack sensing feature to put the connector in another jack and setting it to rear, but still nothing works.

Try:

- Are you 100% sure that you have 64-bit drivers?

- Totally uninstalling the old drivers, rebooting, installing the newest drivers, then rebooting again.

- Maybe something's wrong with the speakers (recently). Try them on another PC.

I hope you get it working soon!

Try:

- Are you 100% sure that you have 64-bit drivers?

- Totally uninstalling the old drivers, rebooting, installing the newest drivers, then rebooting again.

- Maybe something's wrong with the speakers (recently). Try them on another PC.

I hope you get it working soon!

- Yes, drivers downloaded from Realtek and Gigabyte website, Windows 7 x64

- just did now, still doesn't work

- hardware is ok, as in Ubuntu 10.04 on the same computer they work correctly in surround 4.1

In the drivers, did you set your setup to 4.1 instead of Stereo?

- yes, 4.1 in the Configure Speakers, just clicking on the rear speakers icons to produce test sound is not working

i guess i'll install a clean windows 7 in an empty partition and try everything clean :s