Trader Seeking Build Advice

Lunatic Fringe

The Intel will overclock to the moon and back, if you're into that sort of thing. If you want just a plug-n-play setup, go for the 1090T. It will outperform the Intel at video rendering stock vs stock. When overclocking, you'll probably see more performance from the Intel, but the AMD overclocks well too, so the delta in performance probably wouldn't be noticeable. I would go for the less expensive of the two setups, then use the money you save to short sell some BP stock, then get an i7-980X... your video rendering will be crazy awesome with that bad boy :D

The move to short BP is probably a little late, I'd be more inclined to go long at some point, but not just yet...

But if you're currently watching your 401k become a 301k, I'd probably move it to something safer before it comes a 201k... :lol:

But if you're currently watching your 401k become a 301k, I'd probably move it to something safer before it comes a 201k... :lol:

Haha too late :P

I'm willing to bet you and me are of the same mindset: 9 times out of 10, time is more expensive than things, so I'm curious... your video rendering, does it impact the speed at which you can conduct your business? The reason I ask is because with a budget a little more than double what you initially said, you can get an Intel 980X processor based non-gaming system. The speed of a system like that would absolutely blow away anything else for the video rendering task, to the point where it could potentially pay for itself over other processor choices. Its that way for us in the military science world... we run a dual 980X system at work for certain simulations and the time it saves versus anything else available has already made up the steep price difference many times over. Thats without overclocking too!

If not then I would definitely go for the AMD 6 core processor. You said that future-proofing is important to you, but the Intel sockets are due to be replaced at the end of this year. Socket AM3 from AMD is their only projected socket for the time being, so even if they develop new high end processors, they would be swappable with the 1090T.

Video rendering has no impact on my trading as my trading is more pattern recognition (as opposed to serious quant number crunching) and the processor for that resides in my brain.

980x would be overkill most likely although if the market goes where I think it will then who cares if it's an extra $800. My main reasons for wanting to upgrade are thus:

1. I like nice equipment and don't mind paying for quality. Researching my buying choices is fun, I really enjoy it. Talking about the pros and cons of one piece of equipment vs another gives me a little bit of a thrill.

2. Waiting for Handbrake to process a 5 gig movie sucks and it's preventing me from downloading some of the bigger 20-30 gig movies that are out there.

3. I have a good friend who's an Apple fanboi and he never stops telling me about how nice his iMac is. I think being able to tell him my PC processes video in a third the time that his does would go a long way towards getting him to STFU. :D

I'm with ya 100% on 1 and 3 haha.

I went on the Handbrake forums, and it would appear (without reading too much) that processing speed has a bigger impact on the rendering speed of the program, rather than physical core count. You measure speed in terms of FPS right? If thats the case then maybe AMD isnt the way to go like I've been saying... serves me right for recommending AMD for the first time in my life :P The future proof socket type part is still true, but perhaps the core count thing wasnt.

So to answer that once and for all, when I get home tonight I will do you a favor and run this "benchmark" I found on the forums on my 975X system at both overclocked and stock speeds, and then run it on my Athlon II x4 computer as well, so we can get a feel for what kind of performance you can expect across a couple different platform options. In return you can give me stock tips to make me rich :P Unless you know the answer to that already, in which case I'll just do it for fun and my own knowledge :P

Here's the best tip I know...

1. Cut your losing positions quick and let your winning positions run. Most people do it exactly the opposite; they get ahead and take their profits quick but they hold onto and wait for a losing position to come back (which they rarely do...).

As for the benchmark I really appreciate the offer but it's moot at this point; I found out we have a Microcenter nearby and they had a decent deal on the i7-860 ($230). Couldn't pass it up.

So I also ended up with the MSI P55 GD65 mobo and 4 gigs of Corsair Dominator memory 1600 Mhz with 8-8-8-24 timing.

Still dithering on a video card, thinking a Sapphire 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 might fit the bill.

So my rig is all put together and running sweet.

Final build...

Intel i7-860 processor

MSI P55 GD65 motherboard

8 gigs OCZ Gold DDR3 1600 1.5 V RAM

Gigabyte HD5770 video card

Cooler Master HAF922 case

CoolIT ECO liquid cooling with an additional fan (this unit rocks!)

Benchmark times for some Handbrake processing of a 6 gig movie...

Original AMD X4 9500 w/6 gigs of RAM (Win 7 - 64 bit) - 1 hour 6 minutes

i7-860 at native 2940 Mhz - 28 minutes 45 seconds

i7-860 overclocked to 3250 Mhz - 26 minutes

i7-860 overclocked to 3600 Mhz - 23 minutes

I don't expect my buddy will feel like telling me about how awesome his iMac is anymore... :-)

The CoolIT ECO is keeping my CPU at 31C at idle (7C over ambient) and 52C under load. It's very impressive... and to top it off I can't hear it either.

So I'm very pleased with the results. It didn't cost much and my friend can't ever challenge me unless he gets a dual CPU Apple. Fat chance...

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.