Problem With Oc'ing My Ati 5870

I got myself a shiny Powercolor ATI 5870 PCS+ when I built my new rig a month or so ago. Its been working pretty fine, but yesterday I decided to try and squeeze a bit more juice out of the beast.

I am a noob when it comes to OC'ing things though, I I've so far just relied on the Catalyst A.I utility to regulate the core and mem frequencies. It would seem, though, that these frequencies does not like getting regulated, because even when just bumping it from 875 (stock) to 900 my ATI driver crashes before I can finish the heaven benchmark. It is kinda odd, seeing as the builtin stability test in the catalyst AI says that these frenquencies are stable, which they clearly aren't.

So my question is. Will I simply not be able to OC my card, or am I doing something completely wrong that causes the driver to crash?

Is your overclocking causing your card to get too hot?

Another idea is that since the card is already overclocked and your trying to overclock it even more, you probably need to find a program to bump up the voltage on the card.

Is your overclocking causing your card to get too hot?

Another idea is that since the card is already overclocked and your trying to overclock it even more, you probably need to find a program to bump up the voltage on the card.

The card is only just breaking 50C when under load and OC'ed slightly. There also isn't really any graphical glitches or anything that would suggest that the card is not stable, the driver just crashes and restore itself. I also dont think you should need more voltage to reach 900 mhz. I've seen posts about people reaching 930-950 on stock voltage.

I get 975/1250 out of my Powercolor 5870. Overvolted I get 1013/1313 out of it (temps mid 60's under load @ 100% fan)

Well, I apparantly cant even get 900 mhz. I've kinda given up on the whole OC thing. My cpu kept crashing on me as well, even when I just adjusted the voltages to allow my ram to run at correct speeds, without even doing much of an OC on the cpu. I'm just going to stick to stock speeds.

1st things 1st, I would get MSi Afterburner to overclock your 5870. Also, when I overclock and run benchmarks, I always set my fan at 100%, and even though your temps are fine, I would still do this during the bench's at least.

But, every gpu overclocks differently, just like every cpu does. Some are beasts, some are not. That being said, I still think something isn't right here. Not even being able to hit 900MHz seems very odd to me! But, if this continues after you try with Afterburner, then idk! But, with the MSi gpu overclocking utility, you can also regulate the voltage, as Dr stated. With your particular gpu, you might just need a voltage bump to get a better overclock! Try MSi Afterburner out and post the results!