Help Bsod I5 750 Asus Board

Hey guys,

I just recently picked up the stuff listed in my rig specs.

I followed:

http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i5_750_overclocking_guide,1.html

as I have the same mobo + processor.

The only two changes made were oc'ing the board to use my 1600mhz mem at 1600mhz (max was 1333 before)

and to oc the processor (however I didnt set a multiplier for it as listed in the guide). - it just has a max mutliplier which it goes by i guess (20). The speed was listed at 4.01 ghz in the bios after that... Is there a way to cap the multiplier so that the OC will stop earlier than 4.01 ghz? Bcuz right now it fluctuates as cpu power is needed i think.. (auto)

Could it have been the ram? but since its designed to run at 1600mhz why should that be a problm??

my specs:

ASUS p7p55d pro

8gb (4x2gb) CORSAIR XMS 3 1600mhz

i5- 750 w/ coolermaster hyper n520

2 x 150gb WD Raptor @ RAID 0

Antec quattro trupower 850w psu

galaxy gtx 470

I was getting the BSOD when installing windows 7 x64 (didnt even get to the installation part, constantly bsod when it was about to start setup.

After I reset values in bios back to normal, install is going fine so far....

Any advice?

Reset bios back to defaults to start. There should be a memory profile for XMS, if not you can increase the memory multiplier to get 1600 (or close to it). If you have to do it manually you will also need to bump the memory voltage up to 1.65v.

I believe on my asus board there was an option for the XMS profile which set's everything for you.

I'm not at home so I can't check for sure....

looking at my asus 1156 socket system, if you look under "Ai Tweaker" menu

under "Ai Overclock tuner" there should be an option for X.M.P.

Then go to DRAM Frequency and select DDR3-1600.

and it should set all the voltages and multipliers for you.

(you generally dont want to install an OS without knowing if an OC is stable though.)

Its XMP not XMS :thumbsup:

To get the memory to 1600Mhz you have to manually set the parameters in the BIOS.

Set the bclock to 160Mhz then your 1333Mhz divider will give you a 1600Mhz speed on the memory and a nice little overclock to 3.2GHz. Bump the cpu voltage up about 2 notches from the default and set your memory timings manually to what ever they should be with the memory voltage to 1.65.

Thanks for the responses guys

I managed to get windows up and running after returning all settings to default. I had been running the xmp before I saw the post actually :) its working but i did want to try and get higher clocks ~ 3.8-4.0 ghz? i am using the cooler master n520 right now, also have a tuniq tower.. any advice? only reason i changed out to cm was the fit was really tight... but it does work after a pita install.

but is there anyway to get my get my cpu to clock in at 3.8-4.0 with the xmp enabled or if i have to go manual, does anybody have any suggestions regarding settings to start at ~3.8ish.. or lower to start im guessing.

Isnt 1.65 a little high? ive read sites saying that people have fried their boards with 1.45??

nvm read the post wrong, 1.65 for mem v.... gotchaa ill try that out

I did the xmp setting as i mentioned but in cpu-z it only shows the clock going up to 3.2 and varying to 1.9ish.. for the memory its saying 800mhz.. even tho in the bios i have it set to 1600mhz.

any thoughts?

Edited by wowder1234

Give me a little while and I can get a rig similar to that up and running with some settings that work. You are going to have to go manual to get to 3.8-4.0

Start by turning off EIST and C1E , Your challenge is going to be how good is the memory controller on your CPU!

sounds good! appreciate it, let me know when u get the rig up and working :)

Give me a little while and I can get a rig similar to that up and running with some settings that work. You are going to have to go manual to get to 3.8-4.0

Start by turning off EIST and C1E , Your challenge is going to be how good is the memory controller on your CPU!

While you are waiting, you may want to check out Intel's data sheet on your processor that will give you a lot of information about temps and voltages and other stuff, Here. You may also want to run a stress test (Prime95,OCCT,Linx, whatever one) at stock or 3.2 Ghz (only for 10-15 min.) and see what you temps look like to give you an idea of how far you can push it with your cooler.

While you are waiting, you may want to check out Intel's data sheet on your processor that will give you a lot of information about temps and voltages and other stuff, Here. You may also want to run a stress test (Prime95,OCCT,Linx, whatever one) at stock or 3.2 Ghz (only for 10-15 min.) and see what you temps look like to give you an idea of how far you can push it with your cooler.

this was with xmp settings in bios (3.2ghz) and mem running at 1600mhz. no other changes.. seems to me like its running hot? any thoughts on if it could be thermal paste, cooler, or bad cpu?

i let prime95 run for about 15 min..

post-72055-12758740892266_thumb.jpg

Edited by wowder1234

UPDATE:

so i replaced my cooler master cpu cooler with a corsair H50... doesnt look like the results I got are any better at all.....

any suggestions?

my settings are still xmp in the bios (1600 mhz memory) (20 multiplier)

post-72055-12759554295289_thumb.jpg

You may want to wait on ccokeman with some settings for you to try, your vcore looks a bit high for 3.2 and you may also want to check Coretemp or Realtemp to see if you get the same temperature readings.