Anyone overclocked an amd athlon 1.2 ghz?

matthewf01

hello all, this is my first post here. I would like to overclock my AMD Thunderbird Athlon 1.2 GHz processor, but I don't want to make it catch on fire and have to buy a new one, heh.

Has anyone ever carried out this operation, and what settings did you use to get the most STABLE and RELIABLE yet fast results?

I appreciate any help you can offer, thanks a lot!

Guest flakman

You have opened Pandora's box with this question.

So you will not fry your chip/mb/memory...just kiddin.. you need to cool that sucka down and then get the hot air out of the case.  So run around the internet for case mods/ get an idea of what you want to do and get the coolin done first.

Look at the L1 bridges and see if there is a black line through them.  If there is a black line, it has to be "unlocked".

ck this out:  (you should see what I'm talkin about her too)

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1345&p=3

You can increase your proc. speed by upping your fsb and/or

clock multiplier.  IE.  1200 mhz = 12 x 100fsb or 9 x 133fsb

the latter being faster(the computer being faster) but if you proc is 200mhz(not 266) I doubt you can get to 133 fsb.  

If your machine won't boot after a change you make, have  your m/b book around to reset the cmos and start over.

Burn it up  :D

i am using an ECS K7S5A mobo, and i think my pc is already very cool. I have a Thermaltake Volcano 5 on the chip, although I will soon get a TT7. My bios is AMIBIOS, and I've already found the settings for the CPU, like adjusting frequency, the multiplier, as well as voltage. My frequency says its at 133/133 and i think the multiplier is at 9. Not sure of the voltage, but I'm trying to remember and i think its at 2.5 or something?

Now my chip right now is a 1200 MHz, so whats a good idea for me?

the pencil trick is the best root to unlock your cpu, that is the first step, second don't overclocker with the volcano 5 on thier, wait for you new fan, the overclocker procer will run very hot, you can get it unlocked now tho, so you will be ready.