I7 Cooler Suggestion Please...

Hi guys,

Could you guys offer up any suggestions for cooling of my i7-930, main issue is finding a good cooler that would fit in the Thermaltake V9 case, spec measurements from their site suggest that max heatsink height is 157mm, the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 is 158mm high according to their specs, which is a bit of a bugger. At this stage, the Noctua NH-C12P SE14 is one of those on my short list, any other suggestions would be great thanks :)

thanks

I'm fairly certain that it's a good cooler. As seen in the review, it kept an overclocked i7 920 more than within the safe operating range temperature wise.

I personally use the TRUE Black Edition in mine but it doesn't EXACTLY fit int he case, I have to leave the side panel poking out a bit. :/ Have you had issues with your top fan breaking? I know I did... several times.

I personally use the TRUE Black Edition in mine but it doesn't EXACTLY fit int he case, I have to leave the side panel poking out a bit. :/ Have you had issues with your top fan breaking? I know I did... several times.

top fan breaking with the Thermaltake V9? *touch wood* so far no issues just finding something that is within the max height of 157mm so it fits within the case, an option that come to mind is cutting the plastic window on the side panel a little so the heat sink may hang out a tiny bit and a bigger cooler could then be on the cards. But thats my last option

Titan TTC-NK85TZ/CS(RB) any thought on this one? might just fit under but the smallest of margins

top fan breaking with the Thermaltake V9? *touch wood* so far no issues just finding something that is within the max height of 157mm so it fits within the case, an option that come to mind is cutting the plastic window on the side panel a little so the heat sink may hang out a tiny bit and a bigger cooler could then be on the cards. But thats my last option

Titan TTC-NK85TZ/CS(RB) any thought on this one? might just fit under but the smallest of margins

Heh, good luck with that, it's been nothing but trouble for me.

As for cutting a hole in the side of the case, that's what I was originally going to do, however, I found that the TRUE fit in if the side panel was placed so that the little tabs closest to the heatsink were sitting out so that it was almost closed but with a little gap. That's always an option, although transport is a bit of a pain in that case.

How about the NH-U9B SE2? There is a review of it on this site. http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/noctua_nhu9b_se2/

ended up with this due to clearance issue... thanks for the suggestion, is doing a good enough job thus far, temp is about 10 degree celsius lower than stock non oc and is doing a reasonable job with top of 72 degree celsius with a slight overclock @ 3ghz 140x22