Asus P6x58d and i7 930 Stable thread

I thought I would start a thread (forgive me if there is one couldn't find it) on stable variations of both air cooled and water cooled overclocked i7 930's and P6x58d motherboard combinations. I see a LOT on the 920 - not as much on the 930 and its different enough to be considered a different beast although very similar - but enough people have problems using 920's oc settings, that I am starting a new thread. Some of the 920 settings work for some and others changes are needed.

(Updated 5/4/2010 for 3.8ghz stable build)

I got to 3.8 fairly easy and wanted an air cooled 4.0 - however, I suspected the artic silver 5 thermal paste just was not cutting it (had completed coverage upon removal on heatsink/cpu). So I used the paste that came with the Noctura cooler - good stuff. I put it on in unique pattern after trying SIGG Diamond with spreader - which I didn't care for (removed it). Yes I seem to have an uneven i7 930 in two places - but Im *not* about to sand the bumps off my $199 deal from microcenter. I just put a little extra past in those two spots with the Noctura paste (its THICK) after drawing a thin line of the stuff down the middle and putting a couple very very small dots here and there. Temperatures seem to do well for a room that is about 80 degrees F most of the time (not by choice).

I have and it dropped the temps enough to allow me to get a stable 3.8 machine fairly easy - with most options turned on - including hyperthreading and virtualization. The ambient room temp is 25-28c (about 77-82F) not by choice. OCCT Load Temps (with a fully configured system e.g. office installed etc) are under 72c degrees. Im going to try to post pictures of my overclock (its been cpu-z'ed and sent to the site that verified submissions go to. Ill come back and edit the post and attach the settings of the bios from downloading them as soon as I figure out how/get a chance. I will update this with the 4.0ghz version as soon as I get a truly stable one... many hours of testing and then a fail. Not real world unless you are doing some very heavy scientific stuff or its a workhorse for something.

[I took down the 4.0ghz pictures and will update with new ones, and also with the 3.8 stable that ran for many hours (over 24) and was solid. Ill take pics and put on attachments soon... but enough info should be in this post to allow others to reach 3.8 air cooled easily with fairly low voltages and cooler temperatures.]

I didnt take any pics of the machine - because its pretty stock minus the 4 silver screws holding 2x120mm fans on the side slowed down to about 900 rpm from 1200 using the limiters orginally intended for the Noctura to make the cooler quieter. ( I am looking for a good true 230mm). Its funny the bottom specs at 140mm - but it has holes for a larger fan. The 3.8ghz was done using artic silver but had higher temps than using the noctura grease/paste. It didnt have the 2x120mm fans on side and had just a 120mm fan on bottom.

Most options for 3.8ghz are ( in my sig. Everything was auto/enabled except:

Bclk 200

Multiplier 19x

CPU Voltage 1.2325v

PLL 1.84v

QPI 1.21250v

DRAM 1.64v

PCIE Spread Spectrum Disabled

CPU Spread Spectrum Disabled

C1E Disabled

A20 Disabled

In Intel PPM Config: SpeedStep Disabled, everything else enabled.

DRAM Timings: 7-7-7-21 1n command speed

Ill also post some benchmarks for those that care on a clean install of Win 7 Ult later and/or a lesser version of Windows with less services if someone desires. If someone sees something they would like to comment on feel free- first over clock where I really pushed it past 20%. This is more like a 50% overclock. I did look up my batch of i7 930 and it fit into "one of the good ones) but dont have the box near to tell you the batch - if anyone really wants it just ask. I suspect I may keep it at this speed even though I will attempt a good stable 4.0ghz - just because the temps are SO much cooler than trying to push for an extra 200mhz. Just doesn't seem worth it to raise temps from 70c to 80+c for that small increase in speed -especially since the room I work in is already very warm.

HP

Edited by heartspeace

I thought I would start a thread (forgive me if there is one couldn't find it) on stable variations of both air cooled and water cooled overclocked i7 930's and P6x58d motherboard combinations. I see a LOT on the 920 - not as much on the 930 and its different enough to be considered a different beast although very similar - but enough people have problems using 920's oc settings, that I am starting a new thread. Some of the 920 settings work for some and others changes are needed.

I got to 3.8 fairly easy and wanted an air cooled 4.0 - however, I suspected the artic silver 5 thermal paste just was not cutting it (had completed coverage upon removal on heatsink/cpu). So I used the paste that came with the Noctura cooler - good stuff. I put it on in unique pattern after trying SIGG Diamond with spreader - which I didn't care for (removed it). Yes I seem to have an uneven i7 930 in two places - but Im *not* about to sand the bumps off my $199 deal from microcenter. I just put a little extra past in those two spots with the Noctura paste (its THICK) after drawing a thin line of the stuff down the middle and putting a couple very very small dots here and there. Temperatures seem to do well for a room that is about 80 degrees F most of the time (not by choice).

I have and it dropped the temps enough to allow me to get a stable 4.0ghz machine fairly easy - even at an even multiplier with most options turned on - including hyperthreading and virtualization. The ambient room temp is 77-79 degrees F (about 25-25c). Im going to try to post pictures of my overclock (its been cpu-z'ed and sent to the site that verified submissions go to. Ill come back and edit the post and attach the settings of the bios from downloading them as soon as I figure out how/get a chance.

4 Ghz No Load

4Ghz - Prime 95 Load

I didnt take any pics of the machine - because its pretty stock minus the 4 silver screws holding 2x120mm fans on the side (looking for a good true 230mm). Its funny the bottom specs at 140mm - but it has holes for a larger fan.

Ill come back and edit the post after I can get all the listing of the bios specs like most others - but most will be in my sig. Most everything else is default to auto - although QFAN is on Standard...

Ill also post some benchmarks for those that care. If someone sees something they would like to comment on feel free- first over clock where I really pushed it past 20%. This is more like a 43% overclock. I did look up my batch of i7 930 and it fit into "one of the good ones) but dont have the box near to tell you the batch - if anyone really wants it just ask.

I used image shack for this... Im not sure if an attachment would be better because images eventually disappear so maybe Ill do that too.

HP

You use to many tools to overclock. It is best to run as little processes as possible. I would bet you have 80+ things running on your system and it would be wiser to overclock thru your bios. Use Turbo to tweak it so you do not have to restart. you also have too many gadgets running and your desktop is jammed full. Clean your beast up and overclocking will get easier. You also have so many things running on your task bar. your benchmarks will be much higher is you disable all that stuff.

Edited by Drdeath

You use to many tools to overclock. It is best to run as little processes as possible. I would bet you have 80+ things running on your system and it would be wiser to overclock thru your bios. Use Turbo to tweak it so you do not have to restart. you also have too many gadgets running and your desktop is jammed full. Clean your beast up and overclocking will get easier. You also have so many things running on your task bar. your benchmarks will be much higher is you disable all that stuff.

I agree - but I like to my overclocking and then still try to use the computer in one test - and then in another test just let pure overclocking take hold. Both has its advantages - first is more real world - second is more pure cpu stress. For any benchmarks I do I will either boot into a clean system or something equal. I am strongly leaning to just keeping the 3.8ghz though because of the 10c degrees cooler temps. Cool temps are nice to have.

I put up all those apps after the bench so people could gather as much detail as possible (pictures now gone because they are useless since machine many hours later did actually crash and dont want to provide bad info to people for overclocking). If you have a decent cpu cooler and a nice case with proper air venting this 3.8ghz should be a snap to OC for most similar setups.

HP

I would love to see other stable (air cooled especially) setups posted.

PS would love to see all the changed settings (non-default) in your bios and more information regarding your setup.

Edited by heartspeace

I agree - but I like to my overclocking and then still try to use the computer in one test - and then in another test just let pure overclocking take hold. Both has its advantages - first is more real world - second is more pure cpu stress. For any benchmarks I do I will either boot into a clean system or something equal. I am strongly leaning to just keeping the 3.8ghz though because of the 10c degrees cooler temps. Cool temps are nice to have.

I put up all those apps after the bench so people could gather as much detail as possible (pictures now gone because they are useless since machine many hours later did actually crash and dont want to provide bad info to people for overclocking). If you have a decent cpu cooler and a nice case with proper air venting this 3.8ghz should be a snap to OC for most similar setups.

HP

I would love to see other stable (air cooled especially) setups posted.

PS would love to see all the changed settings (non-default) in your bios and more information regarding your setup.

Turn the off and run them individually but you have to much sh^t on ur task bar running besides that. run your task manager and it shows how many processes ar running. Too many will hurt your benchies.

Turn the off and run them individually but you have to much sh^t on ur task bar running besides that. run your task manager and it shows how many processes ar running. Too many will hurt your benchies.

Dont disagree - but also don't mistake everything on my taskbar for a process:) I have quicklaunch icons, icons for apps that arent started (pinned) etc. The only ones really runnings were the ones that were shown for measurements and the ones on the far right which yes - bluetooth, kaspersky, my network, my volume control, my ati icon, password utility, inactive mail checker and two inactive cdrom drives are there - the only one - when files are accessed that would have a big impact would be kaspersky. I guess I did press the printscreen button at the time so that counts too ;).

No really I understand your point when talking about benching - I do. SO true. When OC - I do again both with a few normal everyday apps running and without.. anything to see how stable my machine is.:)

HP

For air cooling in a 78-80F room I think his temps are in line. I've got an Asus P6TD Deluxe and the reported temps on this board are higher than all of the exact same hardware and cooling (water) when running an ASRock X58 Extreme. By about 4C to be exact. Haven't pinned it down but I've been told here by trusted and smart members/mods that it's possible the temp calibrations are off on some of these boards.

A couple general observations from my board for improving my overclocking results

CPU Voltage 1.2500v

PLL 1.90v

QPI 1.2500v up to 1.300v might be needed

tRFC 74 or 88

This should cover up to 4.0Ghz

Could you post your complete system specs? At 1.2325v you should be getting better temps.

I did have them posted in my sig - but then a moderator said they were too long and then I posted that the moderator claimed mine violated the rules- but when looking at this - he had more than 10 lines and 3 images - also violated the rules... so I changed my sig to say that. Then my sig was deleted. SO when I get a chance I will try to post my complete clock settings again.

For air cooling in a 78-80F room I think his temps are in line. I've got an Asus P6TD Deluxe and the reported temps on this board are higher than all of the exact same hardware and cooling (water) when running an ASRock X58 Extreme. By about 4C to be exact. Haven't pinned it down but I've been told here by trusted and smart members/mods that it's possible the temp calibrations are off on some of these boards.

A couple general observations from my board for improving my overclocking results

CPU Voltage 1.2500v

PLL 1.90v

tRFC 74 or 88

Yea I have older people in the house who like the temperate at 77 F downstairs which translates up to 80-84 upstairs... Right now at more or less idle my temps are around 40-45c depending on the core and 37c on the motherboard. I will come back in just a little and post bios shots of my system as its set up now. I loosened the RAM timings because even though memtest86+ said they are ok - Passmark Bench said there were errors. Didn't feel like playing around too much so made then 8-8-8-24 1T at 1600mhz - which isnt bad I guess considering the ram is rated 9-9-9-24 at 2000mhz for 3 sticks but must be lowered for the 6 sticks I have.

CPU Voltage 1.2500v

PLL 1.90v

tRFC 74 or 88

Ok not sure how PLL helps the cpu to OC... don't quite understand that part - did have it up to 1.88 but that was blind following what I found. Not sure what you are referring to for iRFC 74 -or 88... I can try the settings and see how high my temp gets and if it passes - it might be cool night tonight - the thing is though that normally I will run it during the day and temps will be very hot in the house/room - but of course it wont most of the time be near load or even 85% load...

HP