SSD Raid 0 and TRIM

DatsMagic

Please help. I see everybody still running raid on SSD's even though TRIM is not supported. Is it really worth it? How long before i would see the effects of no TRIM. I'm a gamer.

A SSD with properly designed firmware can be run in RAID without any problems. The drive needs some idle time and a bit of free space for GC to work with.

A SSD with properly designed firmware can be run in RAID without any problems. The drive needs some idle time and a bit of free space for GC to work with.

The drive needs some idle time and a bit of free space for GC to work with.

ok explain this a little for me please. I'm new

GC is, I thought, an OCZ thing only.. I could be wrong though, maybe its a Sandforce/Indilinx/controller mfg thing. For the rest of us, you have to image the RAID0 drive to another drive, then break the RAID and secure erase both member disks. Then you can re-create the RAID0 and re-mount the image so you havent lost any data.

I'm using the older generation ssd's that don't even support trim (and in raid0), and haven't noticed any hiccups in real world performance or benchmarks, for over a year now. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Edited by Fight Game

Garbage Collection (GC) is a process performed by all SSDs. It is part of the wear leveling routine. How aggressive GC is depends on the controller being used and even the firmware version. Properly written firmware will have GC performing at the FTL which allows the routine to know which pages/blocks contain invalid data and also makes it file system independent. Free space is important because the less there is the more difficult it is for data to be moved around during GC increasing the time required to complete.

I'm using the older generation ssd's that don't even support trim (and in raid0), and haven't noticed any hiccups in real world performance or benchmarks, for over a year now. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Are you a gamer?

Thanks everyone for your responses, very helpful.