X4 955 OC results and concerns

Donco1

Hello, I'll start my linking my specs

Phenom X4 955 C2

Asus M4A79XTD

Sapphire 5850

G.Skill 4gb DDR3-1333 7-7-7-21 T2 @ 1.5v

I'm fairly new to OCing but overclocking a BE is fairly easy. So far, I've been able to reach 3.6ghz however I had to increase my cpu voltage to 1.3875 to make it Prime95 stable. At 100% load, (using P95) it's peaking at 60 celsius which worries me. I'm using a Hyper 212 cooler. It's idling at around 45 celcius, when playing games, it's running at 50-51 degress. Are my temps normal, I've seen people with much lower temps using the same cooler and at a higher multiplier.

I initially wanted to reach 3.8ghz, but I'm not sure this is going to be possible anymore. Any input would help, thanks!

3.6 is fairly good on air, if other ppl are getting 3.8 on the same cooler im sure there are other factors, I.E - room temp., number of case fans, direction of case fans, and a top exaust can be quite useful too, dunno if you have one of those or not. Also as with any model of CPU they can differ in capabilities. 2 of the same from different batches can differ alot when it comes to OC'ing. If its hitting 60 on stressing then real world use wont ever get it that high. Im sure your 3.6 will do what you need it to though. The thermal paste brand and amount applied could play a role too, and i personally dont see a point to re-seating it just for 200Mhz.

Hello, I'll start my linking my specs

Phenom X4 955 C2

Asus M4A79XTD

Sapphire 5850

G.Skill 4gb DDR3-1333 7-7-7-21 T2 @ 1.5v

I'm fairly new to OCing but overclocking a BE is fairly easy. So far, I've been able to reach 3.6ghz however I had to increase my cpu voltage to 1.3875 to make it Prime95 stable. At 100% load, (using P95) it's peaking at 60 celsius which worries me. I'm using a Hyper 212 cooler. It's idling at around 45 celcius, when playing games, it's running at 50-51 degress. Are my temps normal, I've seen people with much lower temps using the same cooler and at a higher multiplier.

I initially wanted to reach 3.8ghz, but I'm not sure this is going to be possible anymore. Any input would help, thanks!

2 things. Get Artic silver 5, freeze or better yet... IC diamond for your Thermalpaste. If you have the above, simply reset the heatsink but make sure you use the small pea in the center of the chip. That is the best way to apply tim if your heatsink is flat.

Read this tutoral on how thermal compound spreads:

Also lapping can reduce temps 4 to 10 degrees(more like 4). I lap every CPU I buy.

Edited by Drdeath

2 things. Get Artic silver 5, freeze or better yet... IC diamond for your Thermalpaste. If you have the above, simply reset the heatsink but make sure you use the small pea in the center of the chip. That is the best way to apply tim if your heatsink is flat.

Read this tutoral on how thermal compound spreads:

Also lapping can reduce temps 4 to 10 degrees(more like 4). I lap every CPU I buy.

I'm using AS5. I used this method (http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=5), however my hyper 212 has 4 heatpipes, not sure if I should place 2 or 3 lines.

I use the same cooler but on a Phenom II x3 720 BE (see sig). Your max temp rating is 62C, so you're fine with your temps. Use TIM Consultants T-C Grease 0098 or OCZ Freeze, you'll get ~1-2C better temps. Use multiple lines with a slightly bigger glob at the ends of the lines to reach the corners.