overclocking the i7 930

im a computer noob and have just built my first pc, i was wondering what a safe level is to overclock my i7 930 i know many people have 'easily' gotten 4ghz, i dont want to go that far, im looking for long term stability and reliability, is it possible to achieve around 3.4ghz without changing voltages? thanks

It's possible as long as you didn't end up with a chip from a horrible batch. 3.4GHz (lock down the voltages, don't let them go to 'Auto') shouldn't stress the 930 too much with stock voltage, and should be a stable 24/7 OC from what I've read. If you ended up with a chip from a really good batch, 3.6 or 3.8GHz might be possible at stock.

It's possible as long as you didn't end up with a chip from a horrible batch. 3.4GHz (lock down the voltages, don't let them go to 'Auto') shouldn't stress the 930 too much with stock voltage, and should be a stable 24/7 OC from what I've read. If you ended up with a chip from a really good batch, 3.6 or 3.8GHz might be possible at stock.

As far as I have seen, there is no "bad" batches of 930's. They all are D0 steppings and are supposed to be "Cherry" picked chips. The 930's have an extra multiplier over the 920's but they are essentially the same chip. I got 4.47Ghz stable(HT enabled) on it and 4.2Ghz was easily achieved but I needed a voltage increase. 3.4GHz should be a "can of corn" on stock voltage. If not you may need a bump or 2 thats it.

447.png

Edited by Drdeath

thanks for the help, im runnin my 930 at 3.36 ghz (21x160) now, and it runs beautifully, no problems here, didnt have to change voltages :)

Thanx! See if you can get higher with stock voltage. Take Bclock up 2 each time and do a 20 pass run on LinX or IntelBurn. When it crashes go back to last setting to get max performance at stock voltage. Remember when you take Bclock up you also increase Ram frequency too so you may need a small bump in Ram voltage.

Edited by Drdeath

As far as I have seen, there is no "bad" batches of 930's.

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/684156...tml#post8864148

I don't know how "bad" the bad batches are, but I'm guessing it will negatively affect OC-ability with stock voltages if you get one of the "135" batch chips. The poster who mentioned the 135's sounds like an advanced OCer, so his definition of a horrible chip might not be all that bad to the rest of us.

The only limiting factors for you overclocking will be:

1. The CPU - Up to 4.8 GHz with a good batch

2. Cooling - Probably no higher than 4.4 GHz without Hyperthreading using a high-end air cooler, and reaching a possible 4.8 Ghz using liquid cooling

3. Willpower - How much time do you want to spend reading about how to overclock, actually applying it to your overclocking, and running stability tests

If you're not going to overclock with changing the voltages, I'll trade you my i7 920 d0 for your i7 930 (I'll even throw in $30) - you can reach 3.6 GHz using stock voltages on my i7 920 d0. :)

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/684156...tml#post8864148

I don't know how "bad" the bad batches are, but I'm guessing it will negatively affect OC-ability with stock voltages if you get one of the "135" batch chips. The poster who mentioned the 135's sounds like an advanced OCer, so his definition of a horrible chip might not be all that bad to the rest of us.

930's really do not have bad batches. At least I have not seen one. They are all D0 steppings.

The only limiting factors for you overclocking will be:

1. The CPU - Up to 4.8 GHz with a good batch

2. Cooling - Probably no higher than 4.4 GHz without Hyperthreading using a high-end air cooler, and reaching a possible 4.8 Ghz using liquid cooling

3. Willpower - How much time do you want to spend reading about how to overclock, actually applying it to your overclocking, and running stability tests

If you're not going to overclock with changing the voltages, I'll trade you my i7 920 d0 for your i7 930 (I'll even throw in $30) - you can reach 3.6 GHz using stock voltages on my i7 920 d0. :)

4.8Ghz is out of the question(stable) even with decent watercooling. Most hit 4.2-4.4Ghz but 4.5Ghz may be possible.

Edited by Drdeath

Stepping != Batch

The poster in the link I provided has owned and tested over 20 i7-930's. I'm inclined to believe he knows what he's talking about. Apparently, assuming his sig is accurate, he has reached 5.25GHz on water with his specific i7-930. If I were in the market, I would be looking for a chip from THAT batch :)

• 2 weeks later...

running at 3.66ghz now, just had to add a little vcore voltage :P couldnt help myself had to go that bit extra, i did get it running at 3.85 stable, but whats an extra 190mhz? id rather keep it at 3.66 to stay safe :biggrin:

What motherboard, RAM, power supply, case, and CPU cooler are you using? With the right setup OCing an i7 CPU isn't all that difficult just a little daunting to get used to the BIOS settings and what they all mean. You need a motherboard that is a good overclocking motherboard, DDR3 1600 RAM will give you plenty of headroom though slower RAM will work just fine. A good solid power supply to deliver the needed power and not give you flakey results. Your case needs good airflow. A good after-market CPU cooler is essential. Before you start OCing get a notebook and pen to write down all of your succesful and failed settings. This will be invaluable. I've run my i7 920 @ 4Ghz with hyperthreading enabled for 9-10 months straight without a problem.

What motherboard, RAM, power supply, case, and CPU cooler are you using? With the right setup OCing an i7 CPU isn't all that difficult just a little daunting to get used to the BIOS settings and what they all mean. You need a motherboard that is a good overclocking motherboard, DDR3 1600 RAM will give you plenty of headroom though slower RAM will work just fine. A good solid power supply to deliver the needed power and not give you flakey results. Your case needs good airflow. A good after-market CPU cooler is essential. Before you start OCing get a notebook and pen to write down all of your succesful and failed settings. This will be invaluable. I've run my i7 920 @ 4Ghz with hyperthreading enabled for 9-10 months straight without a problem.

evga sli micro mobo, 6gb team xtreem 1600 ram, ive got decent airflow in my case, front 120mm , rear 120mm and side 220mm blue led cooling fans. just using stock cpu cooler, so im stayin at 3.66ghz for now, thinking of upgrading the cpu cooler to go that bit extra :P power supply is a cheap shaw 860w tri fan psu... so im deffinitly going to upgrade that, it was only a $60 psu lol