Overclocking for beginning novice (Athlon II X4 620)

Allright, i thought to ask a little help on my Athlon II X4 620 Propus model. How can i safely overclock it with stock cooler, soon i'm buying Coolermaster Hyper 212 fan for it or what is it called. Any tips and tricks are welcome. I'm using Asus M4A78 mobo with HyperX DDR2 memory 8 GB of it. I have a 600 watt PSU from OCZ. Also 8 casing fans installed now so no problems with airflow. Ask any of my specs if needed, i would satisfy on rising from 2,6 ghz to 2,8-3,0 ghz. Thanks already.

You should be able to OC it on your stock cooler, albeit not very far. Are you looking for an OC guide for that chip?

Yeah, i would like to have some sort of guide for OC:ing Athlon II X4 620. I know few things but just be sure, i asking some help from here. Any advices would be appreciated.

My Athlon II X4 620 is on 3.25Ghz and 1.33v on stock cooling. I could go further but my maximum temperatures during stress tests were 70c and I figure that's crispy enough.

Just read some guides, don't rush it and watch the temps.

I found this guide helpful http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom...thlon,2161.html

Edited by danieljury3

My Athlon II X4 620 is on 3.25Ghz and 1.33v on stock cooling. I could go further but my maximum temperatures during stress tests were 70c and I figure that's crispy enough.

Just read some guides, don't rush it and watch the temps.

I found this guide helpful http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom...thlon,2161.html

That was actually helpful, thanks. Just wanted to ask, how safe is AMD Overdrive for overclocking? Friend OC'd his pc from 2,6 ghz to 3,25 ghz with it without problems. But i'll rather take pro's opinion than my friend (broke 2 pc's within 3 months with oc:ing).

That was actually helpful, thanks. Just wanted to ask, how safe is AMD Overdrive for overclocking? Friend OC'd his pc from 2,6 ghz to 3,25 ghz with it without problems. But i'll rather take pro's opinion than my friend (broke 2 pc's within 3 months with oc:ing).

the BIOS is MUCH safer if you know what you're doing. I can't comment on the program itself, but don't expect anything extraordinary from it

I've tried bios and overdive and both work but I prefer the bios

Allright, that's all i need to know. Now i could use some info what to do etc. with Bios. If somebody has done it properly, please tell me somekind of tutorial. Just ask if you need some pc specs from me. Thanks already.

I've used AOD to see how far I could push things and then used the BIOS for my final settings but that's just me. AOD is a decent tool but I've found that it sometimes reports temps that are off. Just take it slow and you should be fine. FWIW I have 2 x4 620s and they run 24/7/365 @ 3.2GHz @100% load (crunchers) on the stock cooler with good air flow. I've had them higher on water but I wouldn't go above 3.2 on air. Good luck.

Edited by nanoprobe

I've used AOD to see how far I could push things and then used the BIOS for my final settings but that's just me. AOD is a decent tool but I've found that it sometimes reports temps that are off. Just take it slow and you should be fine. FWIW I have 2 x4 620s and they run 24/7/365 @ 3.2GHz @100% load (crunchers) on the stock cooler with good air flow. I've had them higher on water but I wouldn't go above 3.2 on air. Good luck.

Okay, i tested with AMD Overdrive for a little bit and with Novice Mode, i switched it to level 5 and my Cpu Multiplayer is now 4X200MHZ and core speed is 800mhz. What's the issue?

Okay, i tested with AMD Overdrive for a little bit and with Novice Mode, i switched it to level 5 and my Cpu Multiplayer is now 4X200MHZ and core speed is 800mhz. What's the issue?

Could use some help fast. I tried changing CPU multipliers on BIOS to 13x205mhz to 2,7 ghz approx. but still because of AMD Overdrive it goes down to 4x205mhz so what's the problem here?

EDIT: Could it be C1E? I read something that it controls automatically CPU Multiplayers when not used full power? Because when Windows starts it's on full power, then a minute later it's on 820mhz with 4X multiplier. But still i got oc'd to 2,8 ghz when i can get the real cpu reading. So thanks anyway :D

EDIT 2: Still couldn't get this working properly. Still reading 800mhz x 4 multiplier. Feeling bit lost with this.

Edited by Monoplhoric

Okay, found the issue with OC'ing. It was that stupid Cool 'n' Quiet mode. I disabled it and voila, works like a charm. Now oc'd from 2,6 ghz to 3,0 ghz with temp increase of 5 degrees and running approx. 34 idle and 55 on heavy load. Thanks for all of you for help!

Edited by Monoplhoric