Need help with my 1st water cooled I7 920 please

Hi everyone!

I want to set up my 1st water cooled LGA1366 rig and could use a bit of help here please.

I am using a CM storm sniper case. Swiftech looks like it has some really nice stuff and looks great too.

Here is my question--The Storm Sniper case advertised that I would be able to put a radiator inside the

top cover plate. Does anyone here have on installed like that around here?

And if so..how do i get the water nipples on the radiator through the top plate of the case?-I see no holes under that grill?

according to CM i can put a 120x240 rad. in their--somehow LOL

I measered the space and came up with 5x11x1.3'' MAX -and thats cutting it close.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should get for this rig?

I really dont want some ugly butt black radiator hanging off the back like a POS 1980 chevy chevett LOL

-Also, Could someone tell me if the Swiftech Apogee GTZ Extreame CPU block (the all crome looking one)

comes standard with mounting hardwhere? or do I need that Ap-GT-CI7 LGA 1366 bracket I keep seeing

everywhere (Ebay---Aerocooler) for $14.95 usd ?

Thanks in advance guys.

PS youll have a awsome site going on here. A TON cool and very knowledable people :)

See The guys at petra's tech in the link in my Sig for your parts. There service is great and parts cost is Excellent.

As far as Putting the radiator in why would you want the nipples to go upwards? the nipples will be fine going downwards and if you run a high output pump it will get all the air out of there without fail.

As far as the radiator that I would put in that case looking at the Sniper I would go with This rad. And get a few High Cfm fans to Go on it. I would not try t odo just a single thick double Given you have an I7 with obvious intentions to OC.

If you are refering to This Water block I would defiantly recommend it.

I would mount the Swiftech Res about mid case on the side of the 5-1/4 bays Via screws and use the Swiftech MCP655 with 1/2 tubing and barbs.

That should work well and it will all be self contained for you. And If room allows I would try to do a push/pull set-up on the radiator for the added effect.

Hope this helps... Good luck.

P.S. The radiator isnt going to sit against the motherboard tray so as long as you don't have High mosfet coolers about an inch or so you should be able to sleak the radiator in.... Worst case scenario Have a few 90' nipples and Water cool the rest of the board and get a 120x1 radiator to fit on the back.

Also the Haf922, 932 and the Storm Sniper have a bunch in common. see my Water cooling log on my sig if you want to see how I set mine up.

Edited by boinker

You can check my sig for case and WC setup. Although the NZXT case allows you to mount the rad internally I chose to mount it externally on the back. I didn't want to pull hot air into the case. This case comes with pre-drilled holes for cooling in the back although you'll have to enlarge them to fit the tubing that comes with the Swiftech Apogee kit. I used 7/16 hose over half in barbs to reduce the chance for leaks. I dipped the ends of the hose in boiling water and then pushed them over the fittings. When it cools you have a virtually leak proof fit that you will have to cut off to remove so make sure all your hoses are cut to the right length if you choose this option.

My i7 runs 24/7/365 @ 100% load @4.1GHz and the Swiftech keeps it at a steady 59-61c with an ambient room temp of 72-74f. Your temps may vary depending on the ambient temp in your room.

Good luck

See The guys at petra's tech in the link in my Sig for your parts. There service is great and parts cost is Excellent.

As far as Putting the radiator in why would you want the nipples to go upwards? the nipples will be fine going downwards and if you run a high output pump it will get all the air out of there without fail.

As far as the radiator that I would put in that case looking at the Sniper I would go with This rad. And get a few High Cfm fans to Go on it. I would not try t odo just a single thick double Given you have an I7 with obvious intentions to OC.

I would mount the Swiftech Res about mid case on the side of the 5-1/4 bays Via screws and use the Swiftech MCP655 with 1/2 tubing and barbs.

That should work well and it will all be self contained for you. And If room allows I would try to do a push/pull set-up on the radiator for the added effect.

P.S. The radiator isnt going to sit against the motherboard tray so as long as you don't have High mosfet coolers about an inch or so you should be able to sleak the radiator in.... Worst case scenario Have a few 90' nipples and Water cool the rest of the board and get a 120x1 radiator to fit on the back.

Also the Haf922, 932 and the Storm Sniper have a bunch in common. see my Water cooling log on my sig if you want to see how I set mine up.

The Swiftech MCR220 is a better rad IMHO! I used it to cool my wifes 920 and GTX260 and it gave me load temps in the mid 50's while using a GPU folding client and two SMP CPU clients

"As far as Putting the radiator in why would you want the nipples to go upwards " I mean the nipples will be pointed down-eventually. BUT, if I install a rad. inside the top plastic cover of the storm sniper case Ill defintly have to remove the nipples and reinstall l the nipples after the radiator has been squeezed in that little top cover:( With just over 1'' of space in the cover its gonna be very close right? The nipples will have to be inserted from inside the case and screwed up into the radiator. Thus hiding the radiator completey. I was going to use two 120mm fans mounted where that top 200mm fan is now. I posted some pictures under the title "Rampage" case forum.

And yes-that IS the CPU water block I am asking about. (that link has the harwhere included if you read toward the end of page)