i7 930 and P6X58D HELP Please?

S1SQ0

Hi guys im new to overclocking so i need a guide step by step how to overclock i wold really appreciate it thx

My Specs

MB: ASUS P6X58D

MEM: G.SKILL Trident 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2000 F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD 9-9-9-24-2N XMP Enabled Running current speed

CPU: Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W

CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 V8 (RealTemp) Idle 46 42 46 43 max 66 67 63 64

GPU: GTX 295 CO-OP EDITION

HD: 2x Raptor 150gb in RAID0

Case: Antec 900

Yup, keep reading, there's a lot of stickies, and google is your friend.

@nanoprobe

Just got my Asus P6X58D today. I'm able to get to 4.1 GHz with just @ 1.3375V and 4.0 GHz @ 1.2875.

My load temps are getting pretty high at 1.3375V, so not going to attempt to overclock higher until my liquid cooling set comes. :)

Those temps seem high, are you sure you applied the thermal paste correctly and seated the heatsink right? In my antec minip180, I've found my temps to be better if the cpu heatsink is pointed so that it blows air up out the big fan so experiment to see if changing the heatsink orientation improves temps. Lapping may help get lower temps 3-4 degrees.

If you haven't made any mistakes then you'll have to turn off HT and then see what your full load tests show.

Yup, keep reading, there's a lot of stickies, and google is your friend.

@nanoprobe

Just got my Asus P6X58D today. I'm able to get to 4.1 GHz with just @ 1.3375V and 4.0 GHz @ 1.2875.

My load temps are getting pretty high at 1.3375V, so not going to attempt to overclock higher until my liquid cooling set comes. :)

Is your chip a CO stepping or a DO?

Updated my sig. D0.

I know every chip is different but I think your voltages are too high. I have the same mobo and only need 1.24v to get 4.1 GHz.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1002480

EDIT: I see in your sig that you're running 4x2GB sticks of ram. i7s overclock better if you only use 3 of the ram slots. That may be why you need the extra voltage.

Edited by nanoprobe

I know every chip is different but I think your voltages are too high. I have the same mobo and only need 1.24v to get 4.1 GHz.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1002480

EDIT: I see in your sig that you're running 4x2GB sticks of ram. i7s overclock better if you only use 3 of the ram slots. That may be why you need the extra voltage.

Ah, interesting. I'll have to test that out, though I probably won't remove a stick that way in my 24/7 scenario.

On a whim, I took out a 2GB RAM module so it was 3x2GB, and I was not able to get lower voltages.

Back to 4x2GB RAM, I configured similar settings to: http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboard...tml#post8435147

4.2Ghz w/Hyper-threading on, except I left Intel® Virtualization Tech Enabled and left DRAM and UCLK frequency to AUTO.

@4.1Ghz, 1.3375V, 195 x 21, QPI/DRAM Core 1.24375V

IntelBurnTest v2.4 = 121.98 seconds (I don't trust the timing score, once I had ~102 seconds with a slightly lower voltage)

Then, I evaluated AUTO settings, but did set these:

Intel® SpeedStep Tech............[Disabled]

Load-Line Calibration..................[Enabled]

CPU Spread Spectrum....................[Disabled]

PCIE Spread Spectrum...................[Disabled]

@4.1Ghz, 1.3375V, 195 x 21, QPI/DRAM Core AUTO

IntelBurnTest v2.4 = BSOD

Ok, so back to where it was working (good thing there's saved BIOS profiles)

@4.2Ghz, 1.35V, 200 x 21, QPI/DRAM Core 1.24375V

IntelBurnTest v2.4 = Freeze

Looks like my CPU just isn't as great as others, though once I get my liquid cooling set-up going, I'll see how high I can get the sucker with cooler load temps, though I'm happy with 4.1 GHz.