New Gaming PC

Soulicro

Hey everybody! I'm getting a new rig setup, I'll mostly be using it for gaming, at a resolution of 1360 x 768. How will this rig hold up with today's most recent games? How will it hold up in the long run?

CPU: i7 930

Mobo: Asus P6X58D

GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X 5870

RAM: 1600 DDR3 6Gb Corsair Dominator

PSU: Corsair HX850W

CPU Cooler: ???

HDD: Samsung F3 1TB

Sound Card: Asus D2X

Thermal Paste: Arctic Cooling MX-3

Optical: Cheap-o DVD burner

Case: CM HAF 932

Two things:

1) I definitely want to overclock, but I'm not sure about the cooler or the speed to overclock to. I opened up a thread about this, here, but would also love some input here as well.

2) I'll be pairing the Asus D2X with Logitech's Z-5500... other suggestions for a sound card? Auzentech is commonly recommended, but I can't get it in my country.

Would love your input!

If you're just gaming you will be perfectly fine with the on-board sound (Realtek ALC 889 7.1 surround with 6 audio ports). If you're an audiophile or audio professional that's the only reason I can think of to get a sound card at all. On-board sound has gotten a LOT better over the years.

With the $200 you save from not buying that sound card you can get yourself a nice 22" monitor.

There's nothing wrong with it if you're cool with the image quality. Heck you will be at an advantage in some ways because you'll get way higher FPS than if you got a higher res LCD monitor. I'm not sure how the Hz/FPS thing works with TV's as monitors though.

Edited by hierovision

Well, the reason I'm keeping this monitor is because its a 32 inch TV, and I'd like to keep using it... is the resolution really that bad? Its still 720P, isn't it?

Oh, that will be quite allright. I assumed due to the low resolution that it was a old 15-17" CRT.

Well, the reason I'm keeping this monitor is because its a 32 inch TV, and I'd like to keep using it... is the resolution really that bad? Its still 720P, isn't it?

You could do a LOT better....I have both a 32" 720p TV and a 28" Monitor @1920x1200. Just for poops and snickers I plugged in the TV and tried gaming on it and the 28" monitor blows it out of the water. There is no comparison. I would highly suggest getting a better LCD. Even if its only 1680x1050 it would be a huge improvement over what you currently have and that rig would have zero issues running any game with full graphics.

you could save a LOT of $$$ right now and just get a GTS250 for $100 or something. and then when you get a new monitor, upgrade to the latest GPU. at that res you're going to be CPU limited anyway

@sdy284 - Aaand... how will the CPU do? Will it be pushed to the max or is it good to go? =]

Basically it means you wouldn't have to worry about performance with any game at any setting just as long as you run that resolution.

@sdy284 - Aaand... how will the CPU do? Will it be pushed to the max or is it good to go? =]
Basically it means you wouldn't have to worry about performance with any game at any setting just as long as you run that resolution.

+1

and with that i7 you should be over 100fps in any game you play @ that res