Newbie OC'ing Phenom ii 955BE....help

nabril15

Since two heatsinks are providing high temps, my guess would be you are using too much thermal grease. I use about the size of a BB and get 27C idle, and 50C load on my 965 C3

thanks mcclendo.

So is it possible that I put on too much grease? How would that harm? I started adding a small amount, and then spread it out. Is it possible I overtightened the heatsink screws too much, and thus all the grease oozed out of the sides? How frustrating!

Do I need to add a BB, and then let the pressure of tightening the heatsink spread it out?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok. removed fan, cleaned thoroughly with rubbing alcohol careful not to touch surface (following artic silver instructions). Re-installed heat sink but didnt tighten all the way down. Just left it securely screwed but not overdone (as in the past).

Booted pc, and CoreTemp went straight to 50C. I opened Firefox, and it shot up to 58.

I have cool and quiet disabled in Bios for now, and i have a 955 C2, btw. Once i get my OC settings comfortable, I will enable cool and quiet. So when you guys saw 27C idle, is that just windows running and your screen saver?

Thanks again

50c idle means something is wrong. either the heatsink isn't doing its job or your temp monitor is broken.

I'm at 30c idle right now at 1.4v overclocked.

I have this heat sink:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835887011

I would go ahead and buy another heatsink and see if that fixes your problem. Also check other fans in your case to see if you have a good amount blowing in and a good amount blowing out.

what are your current setting in ur bios ? and also what kind of case do u have ?

edit: what HSF do u have ?

Edited by insan3

what are your current setting in ur bios ? and also what kind of case do u have ?

edit: what HSF do u have ?

Case: Thermaltake Lanbox Lite. 2 fans in the back (60mm), 1 fan in the front. None of them are connected to the mobo.

HSF (i assume heat sync fan): Thermaltake Orb II. It has to be a low-profile one since my PSU sits attop the CPU.

I will update bios settings tonight. I have cool and quiet disabled until I get OC settings correct.

Yesterday I noticed a lot of heat flowing out of the case on the sides of the CPU.

Agghhhhhhh

Case: Thermaltake Lanbox Lite. 2 fans in the back (60mm), 1 fan in the front. None of them are connected to the mobo.

HSF (i assume heat sync fan): Thermaltake Orb II. It has to be a low-profile one since my PSU sits attop the CPU.

I will update bios settings tonight. I have cool and quiet disabled until I get OC settings correct.

Yesterday I noticed a lot of heat flowing out of the case on the sides of the CPU.

Agghhhhhhh

You can always get a few PCI slot fans. They are cheap and help when you need a little extra air power.

You can also get a 5 1/4 bay drive fan that blows in. get a turbine cylinder version tho. not the one with three little fans. I've owned both and the cylinder version pushes a lot more air.

You can always get a few PCI slot fans. They are cheap and help when you need a little extra air power.

You can also get a 5 1/4 bay drive fan that blows in. get a turbine cylinder version tho. not the one with three little fans. I've owned both and the cylinder version pushes a lot more air.

thanks for the suggestion bodycount, but adding pci fans is giving up, IMO. I had one on my old pc, and it was noisy.

I wrote to AMD to explore the possibility of the fact that I may have a defective processor. There are many BIOS settings, so I wont post them all; though I realize there are a handful of key ones to focus on.

At the moment, the pc wont boot due to a low cmos battery. i replaced it with another, and it won't boot. MSI manual makes no mention of the battery replacement procedure.

Someone please shove a car key in my eye and twist it!!!

• 4 weeks later...

sorry to be back guys, but my troubles continue. I opened an RMA with AMD, and got a new processor. Due to C2 unavailability, I was sent a C3 version of the 955. Nice. So I applied a thin layer of thermal grease with credit card, and reinstalled everything. I just booted my pc, and my cpu temp is 51C and fan speed is 1734rpm. I removed the front intake fan of the case and moved it back so as to blow on the cpu and memory. However, I noticed it doesnt blow too hard. Perhaps I will have to get something that blows harder.

Bios settings:

CPU: 200 x 17, 1.323v

CPU-NB: 200 x 12, 1.374

DRAM: 1:3.33, 1.71v, 8-8-8-24

HT link speed: 2400 (200 x 12).

So. Am I doing something wrong? According to Dolk's guide, a 3.4ghz OC requires a NB freq of 2158; I have it at 2400. Is that the problem perhaps?

My PSU sits above my cpu and ram, therefore I cannot get any thermal sink that is too high, and that's why I went with the ORB 2 as it is a funnel-like shape.

I thank any help.

i think it just ur case and airflow that is affecting your temps. also it doesnt help that ur psu is sittin on top. best solutions would be to add as many fans as possible to help the air flow and suck out the heat from the case. or just get a whole new case.