Intel QX6850 Overclocking

sound427

Hey Everyone,

I'm been in the computer industry for over 15yrs now. At the time I was very reluctant to overclock my previous computers (Never had the balls to do so). Now I've had my rig for about 2yrs now and looking to push the limits up a little, but there is a catch. I'm a total novice when it comes to this sort of things and I really don't want to mess it up. So I can say I need some hand holding as I go through this process..LOL.

Here is what I have as a System component less the HD, Vid card etc etc.

Asus p5k Premium (Black Pear Edition) Bios Rev 1101

OCZ Reaper 1066mhz 8 gig of ram

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 Cpu

Processor is cooled by a non oem fan (Cannot remember the brand at the moment.. I think it us by Zalman or Thermaltake)

Right now my bios settings are:

A.I Overclock Tuner - n.o.s

N.O.S. Mode - Standard

Turbo N.O.S - Overclock 3%

Dram Frequency - DDR2 - 1066mhz

All the rest of the settings are set to AUTO

I've attached some pics taken in CPUZ of what my system is running currently at. I would like to up that to a stable setting from what I read 3.7ghz is stable. Again I don't have a clue on how to do that.

Can some of you experts tell me how to do so with a step by step procedure ?

Thank You

Sound427

post-71214-1269040579_thumb.jpg

post-71214-1269040592_thumb.jpg

post-71214-1269040599_thumb.jpg

post-71214-1269040604_thumb.jpg

post-71214-1269040611_thumb.jpg

Edited by sound427

You might want to take a look at the sticky on OC'ing socket 775 cpu's

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=77324

Theres some good info in there, while he's using a different chipset the concept is the same. The main thing you want to pay attention to is temp's. You will want to dl a good monitoring program like "core temp" or "real temp" (dont recall which one works best on c2q off hand). Another thing you will want to do is dl a couple stress testing programs to test your OC for stability, Prime95, OCCT, Intelburntest are some of the more commonly used ones.

You may want to change the thermal paste on FHS with some good thermal compound.. (AS5, OCZ Freeze are a couple that come to mind). You will want to make sure you clean both surfaces realy well before reaplying the new material. (rubbing alcohol works).

well there is a super good overclocking guide on here written by verran (R.I.P.) but the jist of it is. disable ai n.o.s. and set it to manual oc. then put your volts to 1.3v (seems to be your stock volt setting) then take the fsb and inch it up from 266 (your standard setting) until you start to see instability and then notch up the volts a tad and keep notching up the fsb. my bet from the looks of it you can set your volts to 1.3v and fsb to 350 and it will be stable at almost what its at now then work your way up from there. just keep in mind. overclocking isnt easy its an art and you need practice and patience to get a nice stable oc. Seeing as your cpu is the extreme edition I would set your multiplyer to say 10ish or as high as you can (im unsure with that cpu)

• 1 month later...

Discussions are always the main source of accurate information and to ensure a comfortable results, you can get immediate and reliable information, which will definitely help you in every area of your concern.