Oc question

hiya all,

I'm new to this forum and have some (noooooob) questions. I've recently built a new machine and was wanting to OC. Please excuse my noobiness as i haven't done this before.

My first question, is the "Smart 6" application that comes with the Gigabyte mobos any good?

It has turbo modes which can take the CPU from 2.8 (stock), 2.94 "faster" , 3.15 "turbo" or 3.80 "twinturbo"

if i use these settings is everything done or do i still need to go into the BIOS?? I understand that i would need a better CPU cooler than the stock that comes with the CPU.

I've read a few guides on overclocking and was just woundering if a program like smart6 was the answer as apposed to oc'ing though the BIOS, which is better????

here are my specs, any input is apprecicated,

MOBO - GIGABYTE P55A-UD5

CPU - i7-860

MEM - 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws PC16000 DDDR3 2000

GPU - my old 8800GT (soon to be GTX480)

CASE - Thermaltake Armor+ MX

PSU - Thermaltake EVO Blue 750w

HDD - Seagate 1TB

cheers

hiya all,

I'm new to this forum and have some (noooooob) questions. I've recently built a new machine and was wanting to OC. Please excuse my noobiness as i haven't done this before.

My first question, is the "Smart 6" application that comes with the Gigabyte mobos any good?

It has turbo modes which can take the CPU from 2.8 (stock), 2.94 "faster" , 3.15 "turbo" or 3.80 "twinturbo"

if i use these settings is everything done or do i still need to go into the BIOS?? I understand that i would need a better CPU cooler than the stock that comes with the CPU.

I've read a few guides on overclocking and was just woundering if a program like smart6 was the answer as apposed to oc'ing though the BIOS, which is better????

here are my specs, any input is apprecicated,

MOBO - GIGABYTE P55A-UD5

CPU - i7-860

MEM - 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws PC16000 DDDR3 2000

GPU - my old 8800GT (soon to be GTX480)

CASE - Thermaltake Armor+ MX

PSU - Thermaltake EVO Blue 750w

HDD - Seagate 1TB

cheers

It will pretty much do what it says and if you are happy with the clocks it gives you then no reason not to use it. Manually overclocking in the Bios should allow you to reach higher overclocks with lower voltages, if you put some effort into it.

It will pretty much do what it says and if you are happy with the clocks it gives you then no reason not to use it. Manually overclocking in the Bios should allow you to reach higher overclocks with lower voltages, if you put some effort into it.

:withstupid:

Although I'm partial to using BIOS settings myself, if you can achieve a stable overclock that you're happy with using the built in program, more power to you. Keep an eye on the voltages any in-Windows program throws at your board, however. Sometimes they can add some crazy voltages that will certainly not promote product longevity if you're not careful.