Newbie Here!

Hey guys! I'm new to these forums and hopefully I could get a hand.

I'm just upgraded from a P4 (2.8GHz) to a i7 920 so it's a really big jump for me. I just had a few questions and hopefully you guys could answer it.

1. I have the 6GB OCZ Obsidians (1600mhz) and it's clocked at 1066mhz (checked with Everest). I'm just curious on why it clocked itself to 1066 when it was originally, and if there is a performance difference between 1666 -> 1066.

2. Not too sure if my temperatures are good or not - Motherboard: 35C, CPU: 34C, Northbridge: 42C - I heard the Northbridge overheats on some X58 boards, could anybody give me some info on that?

3. Should I attempt to overclock my CPU and RAM (gaming computer) with the following specs?

Case: HAF 932 (stock fans)

Heatsink: V8

CPU: i7 920

GPU: HIS 5850

RAM: 6GB OCZ Obsidian

PSU: Corsair 850TX

HDD: WD 1TB @ 7200RPM

MB: Gigabyte EX58-Extreme

i assume that those temperatures are when your computer is idle & not at 100% usage? download prime 95 or linX to get your CPU load to 100% then report your temps :)

Sorry for multiple threads!

Anyways, I just completed the stress test with Prime 95 and here are my results:

MB: 36C

CPU: 48C

NB: 44C

CORE0: 61

CORE1: 62

CORE3: 59

CORE4: 59

My CPU usage was at 100% all the time, but my RAM was at 50%, does it also stress test the RAM?

Welcome to OCC!

Those temps look fine. ^_^

I'm pretty sure that Prime 95 doesn't test RAM, I've heard of a RAM tester before, but I can't quite put a name on it.

What applications do you mainly use? (eg. Games) Your rig should run nearly anything comfortably without overclocking, but it's nice to have some extra power.

The RAM speed difference between 1066MHz and 1666MHz shouldn't really be noticeable in everyday use, in my opinion.

PremiumGFX

If you can give a shot and change the memory Clock to 1666. As PremiumGF Stated yes you will not notice much of a difference But it will be a performance enhancement None the less.

Good to hear that my temperatures are okay! I'm going to do a little bit more research on overclocking before I attempt anything :P

Alittle off topic but, I have the X-540 Logitech speakers and my middle speaker has suddenly messed up. It sounds like it's real hollow, kind of like a buzz. I replugged everything back in into my subwoofer, but still no luck - any ideas?

Alittle off topic but, I have the X-540 Logitech speakers and my middle speaker has suddenly messed up. It sounds like it's real hollow, kind of like a buzz. I replugged everything back in into my subwoofer, but still no luck - any ideas?

You may need to update your audio drivers. Check the manufacturer's website.

^^^

I restarted and it magically fixed itself - pretty weird. It was a weird fuzzy/hollow noise, but I can only hear it when my ear is literally beside it now.

Another off-topic question (didn't want to make another thread). I have the CM V8 and I've been reading on customizing it with other 120mm fans. People are saying it's the static pressure (h20mm) that makes a big difference in temperature drops so I was wondering if anybody could recommend a decent 120mm fan to replace with the CM V8 stock fan.

Alright guys I managed to OC my i7 920 to 3.3GHz but something real strange has happened.

I turned on my CPU and checked my temperature before overclocking, and it was idling around 32-33C. I then flashed my BIOS, and gave it a restart and checked my temperatures in BIOS and it was running at 42C (keep in mind this is BEFORE I overclocked). Now with the overclocking finished, I'm still idling at 42C. Could flashing the BIOS get the temperatures up by 10C?