HELP needed on overclocking and tuning my system!

hi guys! pls bear with me. i am a newbie here and i need help. ^_^

here are my pc specs:

Processor: Intel Pentium D 820 2.8Ghz

Motherboard: Asus P5Q SE PLUS

Ram: 4 x 1gb kingston 667Mhz (4gb of RAM total)

Harddrive: 160Gb Seagate Barracuda

Video Card: RedFox Nvidia GeForce 9600GT 1gb 256-bit DDR3

Operating system: Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit

i just want know what to do exactly so i could overclock my processor to about 3Ghz. i have no idea how to do it but i really want to learn. any help from you guys is deeply appreciated! thanks! :thumbs-up:

Are you still using the stock cooler on the CPU? If so, you will need to upgrade that before you can do any overclocking. I had one of them and at stock settings it barly kept it with in operating temps (during the summer when my room got warm it would over heat and shut down..untill I put an after market cooler on it :) )

What kind of case are you using?

3Ghz should be pretty easy to hit though, just a slight bump to the bus speed.

Are you still using the stock cooler on the CPU? If so, you will need to upgrade that before you can do any overclocking. I had one of them and at stock settings it barly kept it with in operating temps (during the summer when my room got warm it would over heat and shut down..untill I put an after market cooler on it :) )

What kind of case are you using?

3Ghz should be pretty easy to hit though, just a slight bump to the bus speed.

@hyper --> yes i am still using the stock cooler. since you said that i must buy a new one.....i am looking for one at the moment. i am using an atx casing from my old system. it has 2 80mm fan and 1 120mm fan in the front. those 3 are for intake. 1 80mm fan on the side and 1 60mm fan at the back. both are acting as exhaust.