thermal compound spread method

My tried and true method, which has yielded good results (compared to pea sized dot in the middle) is to spread a thin line on one edge of whatever I'm applying thermal paste to, and spread that line across the chipset in question with a razor blade. If done properly, you should end up with a thin coating of thermal paste across whatever chipset you were applying it to. This thin even coating assures full contact in an even coat of contact with your heat sink (waterblock, air cooler, etc.)

Coming from a background in heat transfer and thermal dynamics (I work in this field) a thin even coat spread across the entire heat transfer area will work better than hoping a pea sized dot spread by pressure applied by the cooler works better. This is based not only on my own theory to practice, but by physics and heat transfer theory as well. A pea sized dot will spread across the heat transfer area as torwue is applied to the cooler, but a thin layer spread evenly across the heat transfer layer (by a razor or similar object) will coat the entire layer and allow for a more even transfer of pressure by the heat sink.

I use a dab in the middle of the heatsink about the size of a grain of rice. If you are getting adequate pressure on the CPU you should see itr spread around the whole CPU just from the pressure.

This. Less chance to create air pockets this way too. When it comes to TIM, less is more.

What spread method do you use before placing the heatsink on the cpu? I just recently switched to the Noctua D-14 from the megahalems. At this point and time it's not doing so well. Im getting and idle temp of 51 compared to the prolimatechs 39 idle. Load is ridiculously too high as well. I was able to pass OCCT before but now it cancels with CPU too hot. Should i mount it vertically? atm im running on 1.28vcore 4.2ghz. FYI i used a Pea size of compound dead center or at least what i thought was pea size. :(

2010022812h01cpu1.png

this is the build... http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...howtopic=173001

Out of interest why did you change HSF's in the first place? Both are really great Heat sinks with little if anything between them in performance.