Need help OCing my CPU

saywhut

Ok so I HAVE read Dolk's guide on OCing and have a good grasp on it. Now, I'm OCing through the multiplier and I have a question. Since your OCing with the multiplier, do you still need to mess around with your RAM timings and/or frequencies?

If you don't then is it just a matter of finding stability with the NB and voltages? Also, I know the Hypertransports Link can't exceed the NB speed, so do you keep raising it as you raise your NB?

I have an aftermarket cooler, Thermaltake SpinQ, but it's not good for OCing so I'm fixing to get another aftermarket cooler. What would be a good recommendation? I'm fixing to stay around 60 bucks maybe a bit more or less.

I want to be able to reach 3.9-4.0ghz range and I know it can go further but my cooler is making it a limiting factor.

I currently have my CPU OCed to 3.4ghz by raising the multiplier by 2 and a slight voltage increase and it's stable. My NB and HT Link ar at 2.0ghz with no voltage on the NB.

Thanks.

AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.4ghz

GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H (790GX Chipset)

OCZ Gold 4GB DDR2 @ 1066, 2.1v

AMD Radeon HD 4890 (Stock)

Thermaltake Armor+ Case.

Edited by saywhut

As you go further up in your OC you may need to loosen your ram timings to make a more stable environment... I.E. 5-5-5-12-24 to 7-7-7-18-30 etc.

I'm not sure if your board lets you but my HT is locked on mine. so all I can do is increase the Freq of the NB. I have mine set to 1.26volts at 2400Mhz at 3.70 and its fine. Normally you will not have to mess with your ram until about 3.90 or 4.00 but you may have too depending on what brand or type it is.

For now until you get further I would leave it alone. just raise the volts and multiplier one half at a time until you cannot fix it with voltage and start tweaking the ht voltage, NB, SB and CPU-NB voltage. Pay attention to the chart Dolk made for setting your NB freq and voltage. you likely will not have to mess with the HT bus though. what voltage are you at right now with the CPU-VID or CPU voltage?

BTW if you want to make it to 4 ghz on air then you will need a Big HSF for Prime 95 4 hour or OCCT 1 hour stable. I always suggest water cooling for that high just for the fact it does a better job. Hope this helps. good luck. And just answer this for me is your stepping code in the bios C2 or C3... I cannot remember if they made a C3 940 or not.

I have my CPU Voltage at 1.360 and voltage of my NB is at 1.3. My Nb speed is at 2000mhz and the stepping is C2 I don't think they made C3 for the 940.

What is a good air cooler to maybe get in the high 3ghz area? Is the V8 a good choice? I heard that is fairly decent. Or is it worth spending a bit more and getting the noctua d14?

Edited by saywhut

I have my CPU Voltage at 1.360 and voltage of my NB is at 1.3. My Nb speed is at 2000mhz and the stepping is C2 I don't think they made C3 for the 940.

What is a good air cooler to maybe get in the high 3ghz area? Is the V8 a good choice? I heard that is fairly decent. Or is it worth spending a bit more and getting the noctua d14?

You should be able to oc very well with the coolermaster V8 or v12. You will get further with the d12 but its huge and heavy. So if you have a mid tower do the math before you buy it. Other then that Just go for it. Your just likely going to have to add a crap load more power to that thing to get too 4.00

P.S. I was only curious ofr my benifit about C2 or C3 stepping. Im pretty sure they Didn't make it in C3 but I didn't know.