Win7 64x upgrade problems from WinXP 32x

Ymesss

Hi guys, through work i picked up a windows 7 upgrade disc from a new vista pc we purchased before 7 came out. You know the deal that kept people from waiting to buy a vista pc so they could still get windows 7 for no extra costs. Well i Installed it on my vista laptop, had some issues but it went through.

Now, i just built a new pc, planning on installing windows XP home 32x oem on that pc, then instantly installing the upgrade (win7 64x) overtop. Well, now ive ran into alot of issues. When i originally installed win7 on my laptop with this same disc, it wouldnt let me run the setup while in windows. It gave me some gibberish and told me to boot from disc. So i did that and basically things went smooth enough and i got it installed. When i went to do it on XP last night, it gave me the same error message, so i went to boot the disc from bios. I set CD-ROM to primary boot and when i try to boot from disc, it brings up the prompt "Press any key to boot from CD-ROM". At this point is where i had the problems. For 2 hours i messed around with the bios trying to get the disc to boot. When i hit a key to start the boot, it seems like it my keyboard wont respond, it wont accept me hitting any key. Any ideas? I tried booting from a flash drive, but it got late so i hit the hay before i messed around too much.

Questions: Does anyone know if the upgrade disk works when upgrading fro windows xp? If this is a case if I upgrade to vista then to 7 will that work?

Thanks guys.

you cant upgrade from a 32-bit to a 64-bit system. You cant upgrade from xp to windows 7. If you want to install w7 as a upgrade you either need vista 32-bit install and upgrade to w7 32-bit or vista 64-bit installed and w7 64-bit upgrade.

you cant upgrade from a 32-bit to a 64-bit system. You cant upgrade from xp to windows 7. If you want to install w7 as a upgrade you either need vista 32-bit install and upgrade to w7 32-bit or vista 64-bit installed and w7 64-bit upgrade.

Now ive investigated earlier and found that you can do a clean install from the upgrade, and it will work. Any body else have a comment?

I upgraded from XP 32x to Win7 64x. How i got it to work, I did a clean install of Win7 64x, but didn't put in the code, then I upgraded the newly installed copy to Win7 64x and put in the code. I've done this three times now, and it worked perfectly every time.

Now ive investigated earlier and found that you can do a clean install from the upgrade, and it will work. Any body else have a comment?

I've done several XP 32bit to Win7 64bit upgrades without a hitch. I'm assuming you have a 64 bit compatible cpu/mobo. If your getting no keyboard response when you boot from the disc try booting back into XP and make sure your keyboard is working. If it works try booting from the CD again. If your trying to do this with a wireless keyboard and mouse that may be your problem. Try a wired one. If you still get no keyboard response try another one if available. When you get to the install screen select "custom install" not upgrade install. It will reformat the selected drive and continue the install.

Thanks for all the help guys, i had to call gigabyte and talk to TS, there was an issue with my bios that was restricting my win7 disk from booting. Thumbs down to gigabyte tho. The guy was helpful, but took me 45 minutes to get off hold, and that included getting hanged up on 2 times in the process.

All is well and windows 7 is running smoothly.

Ymesss,

You will not be able to "upgrade" from a 32-bit version of Windows 7 to 64-bit -- the architecture between the two is too drastically different to allow such a change. To learn more about the differences between a 32-bit operating system and 64-bit please go to the following link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...asked-questions

Also, please note that when migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7 you will not have an "in place upgrade" option. You will however have the option to select "custom" install when prompted. The Windows 7 install process will then copy all of your data in "My Documents" over to a Windows.old folder within Windows 7 itself. All applications and documents stored in other locations will have to be reinstalled / transferred manually.

For more information on the Windows 7 Upgrade, please go here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...lling-Windows-7

For additional assistance with the migration of Windows XP to Windows 7, please go here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ee150430.aspx

Jessica

Microsoft Windows Client Team