AMD Overdrive

Your crashing is cause after you try to apply OC settings? Some specifics could help majorly. Are you dropping your ram before you raise the "fsb"? How far have you got? what have you successfully accomplished in OCing?

It may seem overwhelming when you first get into OCing but the things you learn are very valuable. Just think how far you can get with your 965 once you learn a thing or two more.

AMD overdrive is an amazing program and one of the best tools to help you overclock.

once you have the ballpark settings you can make them permanent in the bios, there is no reason to have to keep restarting your computer every 2mins just because 'i dont wanna use software' overclock

what AMD overdrive lets you do is change a setting then apply a stability test on all the cores.

you get immediate results.

obviously if you just move sliders around to max you are going to mess things up.

so you do need to read up a little on how to overclock first.

another great thing if u do mess up and BSOD, your CMOS is not corrupted and your computer will always restart.

if these acronyms are unfamiliar to you than you have a long way to go grasshopper!

the autotune features do not work so well, however, as most similar programs do not.

to apply your dump settings there should be a build a profile option, be sure to click 'apply on startup'

it is perfectly fine to use this or you can enter the numbers in your bios manually is fine as well.

BTW BIG PROBLEM

if you are using an original Phenom I and not the newer Phenom IIs, your results will be much lower

do not worry about trying to get numbers like everyone else running around with 3.9ghz overclocks, it cant be done on a phenom I.

Edited by potatochobit

There's absolutely zero difference as long as you do the same stability tests for both. :rolleyes:

There is a big difference. I've experienced it myself with my GPU already. As for CPU overclocking, I've never used programs for that and never will. It's basically doing nothing for hours. What the problem with software overclocks is: for starters, I'll give the example of my GPU overclock. When I OCed it with a program to see what it's max was...I could go up to 900, 1100 without problems and I could play games. When I flashed the bios with these clocks (900, 1100)...artifacts, crash, screen flicker like crazy. Turned out my GPU can't oc at all. Another good thing about BIOS is that unlike software, it has much more options...in fact it has ALL the options, that your system can offer. Software oc causes cpu voltage rise and instability. Since it's the BIOS that controls the system functionality, it's better to just use the SOURCE than use a medium which can mess up even though it's by AMD.

If you wanna use software, go ahead I'm not gonna stop u..or anybody else for that matter. I'm just sayin'.

ok ive been talkin with someone via P.M. and he pretty much said go with bios cause my dual bios will not let me fry everything (to a point) my lastest settings were 12.5x with no voltage changes... i went to 13x and my system booted but windows did not so i did it by the book. raised the voltage 1 step at a time... i got all the way to 1.50volts (scary!) and decided to switch everything back to auto and except my loses. i dont understand my bios. its very hard to understand it at all. everyone said i shoulda adjusted my fsb but i dont know were it is in my bios so anyway thats as far as i got... =(

There is a big difference. I've experienced it myself with my GPU already. As for CPU overclocking, I've never used programs for that and never will. It's basically doing nothing for hours. What the problem with software overclocks is: for starters, I'll give the example of my GPU overclock. When I OCed it with a program to see what it's max was...I could go up to 900, 1100 without problems and I could play games. When I flashed the bios with these clocks (900, 1100)...artifacts, crash, screen flicker like crazy. Turned out my GPU can't oc at all. Another good thing about BIOS is that unlike software, it has much more options...in fact it has ALL the options, that your system can offer. Software oc causes cpu voltage rise and instability. Since it's the BIOS that controls the system functionality, it's better to just use the SOURCE than use a medium which can mess up even though it's by AMD.

If you wanna use software, go ahead I'm not gonna stop u..or anybody else for that matter. I'm just sayin'.

*sigh*

Go ahead and blame software if you want. The software is not what caused any of your problems. Software usually has more options than most BIOSes do as well.

Anyway - I'm not going to argue with you. I'm just going to leave you with the same thing I did before - software or hardware - it doesn't matter if you do it properly.

*sigh*

Go ahead and blame software if you want. The software is not what caused any of your problems. Software usually has more options than most BIOSes do as well.

Anyway - I'm not going to argue with you. I'm just going to leave you with the same thing I did before - software or hardware - it doesn't matter if you do it properly.

point well takin... but knowbody has told me how to use it properly or even at all. i read the manual that comes with the software and really doesnt say much. just things that my 2 year old already knew lol. anyway maybe somebody can just tell me how to apply the settings. and do you have to go into bios to save the settings?

~thanks all~

uummm ima answer some of the questions above... no i havent updated bios cause im scared! someone told me if you dont do it right u can screw things up. i dont have enough faith in myself to try i would rather fry the hell outta my mobo tryin to overclock lol. also im not making to big of jumps when the OC'in is happening since its an auto clocking system... anyway i erased overdrive because i tried it manually and auto with no luck... i also tried to OC in bios hehe im not to good at that mainly cause i dont know what to adjust at what time...

• 5 weeks later...

what cause the artifacts is probly that you overclocked a 4870 to 900 mhz core speed rofl i havent heard of many sucessful OC over 800... besides ccc only lets you do 790 for a reason... were talking about amd overdrive software made by amd for amd... amd overdrive is just as good as bios... the only reason i dont use is it is because if my harddrive ever failed.. my oc would be gone.. but the remedy to that is just to write down you settings