lga775 pin mod help. Need stock voltage value for 330j (1.25-1.4v?)

Holering

Hi, I'm trying to pin mod my celeron D 330j 2.66ghz cpu to bump the voltage up since my motherboard is unable to (Asrock 775dual-vsta). My motherboard also incorrectly reports the stock voltage as it fluctuates between 1.32-1.3538 so there's no way for me to figure this thing out. I've tried google, wikipedia, http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27114 but they all end up with the same 1.25-1.4v.

The reason why I need this value so bad is because I'm trying to apply this pin mod http://vr-zone.com/print.php?i=3931 . I've tried the 1.325 defaulters section for 1.425v with arctic silver 5 but it didn't change a thing. Either the arctic silver 5 isn't conductive enough (it's pretty old from my old a7n8x asus mboard with barton build in 2003-2004. Good ol days) or I'm using the wrong defaulters voltage section. I really think I'm using the wrong defaulters voltage section as I really can't trust my motherboards voltage readings. My bios 12V reading is 12.156 volts! 3.3v is 3.318! They all seem to go over by a bit. I hope to volt mod it to the max at 1.55V as reported in the intel downloadable data sheet (not the link I posted but according to the datasheet which can be downloaded from there). I don't mind if and when I successfully mod it to 1.55V if my mboard overvolts just a little bit as this cpu needs to go faster at almost any cost. It would be lovely to take this thing over 4+ghz... 5-6ghz????!!!111onee!!!??!

I added an attachment for the pic-mod I used according to vr-zone's guide

Any help would be awesome thanks!

post-67189-1263853012_thumb.jpg

Well if you really don't care about that motherboard or cpu go for it I guess. Even if you do overclock it to 4ghz on that board I'm not sure how long either will last at that kind of voltage. If your motherboard doesn't have voltage controls chances are it was never meant to put out any more power than the minimum needed for that proc. AS5 isn't the most conductive thing in the world, maybe a pencil mod might be able to do it or if you are braver than I you could solder it.

if you don't have a back up computer I would do some serious thinking before I went at this.

Edited by gabrieltessin

i dont see this ending up any way other than you shorting out anything. but as5 isn't exactly great for conduction. get a silver/gold based grease for it.

IMO the effort and risk of this, isnt worth how much a celeron D motherboard would be to buy

- all my voltage readings usually for 12v , and the rest are above. i sure as heck would reather them be a little bit above than have them dead on and have them flux around and go under

& btw if you plan on goingt to 4ghz and above id really suggest a motherboard with better Overclocking options, plus you don't expect to get that on air do you? i hope you at least have a w/c setup to get around 5ghz

Edited by cirro

i dont see this ending up any way other than you shorting out anything. but as5 isn't exactly great for conduction. get a silver/gold based grease for it.

IMO the effort and risk of this, isnt worth how much a celeron D motherboard would be to buy

- all my voltage readings usually for 12v , and the rest are above. i sure as heck would reather them be a little bit above than have them dead on and have them flux around and go under

& btw if you plan on goingt to 4ghz and above id really suggest a motherboard with better Overclocking options, plus you don't expect to get that on air do you? i hope you at least have a w/c setup to get around 5ghz

Hey thanks for the quick responses! Well according to the datasheet the processor should be safe up to 1.55vcore. I would probly use soldering instead but it'd have to be very flat and might not even be worth the effort!

I do plan on using this regularly and since it's a single core celeron I wouldn't think it'd do much damage if I stuck around 1.425vcore seeing as how there's been users with the same exact board (775dual-vsta) using a modified bios to run quad cores. Though the fsb is underclocked by default when using a quad core you can up it again to it's normal value but beyond that you can't do much (the mosfets get really strained with quad cores or so I've read), but even then people are able to keep pushing it a little lol

If anyone comes up with the right default vcore value for a 330J celeron D processor that'd be great since that's what I need to use any of the pin mods.

I've tried the 1.325 defaulters section for 1.425v with arctic silver 5 but it didn't change a thing. Either the arctic silver 5 isn't conductive enough (...)

I have and use the exact same silver conductive pen in that guide... it's extremely conductive

AS5 isn't, it's more capacitive... if AS5 was conductive, it would be like throwing water on your CPU/motherboard... you can be fairly careless with AS5 with no damage

Get one of those pens, they're expensive, but you can mod other stuff with it, and they last ages :)

Alternatively, you can get a small vial of silver conductive paint from a good electronics (component) store ... Digikey/Newark/Farnell/Mouser if you need online... and use a toothpick to paint it on

It's more fiddly, a lot more, but it's cheaper, and could be a better option if you don't plan on hardmodding anything, ever again, in your whole life :D

• 1 month later...

Well sorry for bringing back a somewhat old thread but for anyone else looking for the same answer; according to this poster http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=1576520 this cpu is stock at 1.33vcore so I'm gonna try it now and post back results (maybe I'll make a new thread if I'm hitting 5+ghz and 1.8vcore+ LOL).

My only concern are the mosfets and capacitors on my motherboard as this motherboard is very basic unlike standard asus motherboards though I love it's versatility as it's unlike any other (I'm using an agp 5900 ultra video card and I can swap to a PCIEx video card whenever. Not to mention using ddr or ddr2 ram). I wonder if a wolfdale dual core (yes this mboard accepts wolfdales with the 3.19a bios from http://www.pctreiber.net/filebase.php?cat=22 ) @ 1.4+vcore + overclocked would strain less or more versus a celeron 330j @1.8+ volts. Oh and my current bios (not yet flashed to 3.19a) reports my 330j as having em64t though according to http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27114 it does not. I can run 64 bit linux or vista 64 for like 2 minutes and then they crash on youtube or whatever so this cpu doesn't even have em64t according to most other forums.