Overclocking Phenom II 720; How many volts are too much

tgengler4

do not run it at 1.7... 1.55 is the highest i would go. thats even pushing it. theres just no reason for it. it probably wouldnt be stable anyways unless your using extreme cooling

I am just using air, but my temp is only getting to 41 at 1.5v using air, so I did not know if I could keep going until my temps started getting toward the 50 range. At 100% load with cpu set to 3.59 at 1.45v my temp is only 34, which is why I am trying to see if I could run significantly higher voltage. I realize there is an upper limit, but I just wasn't sure, if I was able to get it stable at voltages over 1.55 and my temps were still below 50, if it would be advisable to run it there. I always ask why because there are so many things that are done, "just because that is how we have always done it." I just didn't know if there was any actual info that showed that high voltage even at reasonable temps caused significant damage.

Edited by tgengler4

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright man, it is time for the overclocking intervention. Going 1.55 for another 100mhz is not worth it my friend, the difference in performance is not noticeable to anything but benchmarks and even then it would be slim. 1.7v will kill your CPU or motherboard or both and probably sooner than later. Just because one person got away with it for awhile doesn't mean you will. The components will degrade more quickly and eventually take down your overclock if you are running to much voltage. If it doesn't kill your CPU it will cripple it, soon you will be down lower speeds on the same voltage. If you just want to see how quickly you can kill a CPU be my guest, it would be interesting at least.

Alright man, it is time for the overclocking intervention. Going 1.55 for another 100mhz is not worth it my friend, the difference in performance is not noticeable to anything but benchmarks and even then it would be slim. 1.7v will kill your CPU or motherboard or both and probably sooner than later. Just because one person got away with it for awhile doesn't mean you will. The components will degrade more quickly and eventually take down your overclock if you are running to much voltage. If it doesn't kill your CPU it will cripple it, soon you will be down lower speeds on the same voltage. If you just want to see how quickly you can kill a CPU be my guest, it would be interesting at least.

I appreciate the info. I am just looking for the max voltage I should consider running my system at for 24/7. I just didn't know if I could keep my temps under 50 if I could continue to increase voltage.

I appreciate the info. I am just looking for the max voltage I should consider running my system at for 24/7. I just didn't know if I could keep my temps under 50 if I could continue to increase voltage.

I think what the other people said is good advise, 1.5v is really the begining of the danger zone and should be taken seriously, 1.55v should be your max if you can still keep it cool. Anything more than 1.5v and you will be running the risk of things failing.

I am just using air, but my temp is only getting to 41 at 1.5v using air, so I did not know if I could keep going until my temps started getting toward the 50 range.

What cooler are you using? Those temps are *very* low.