Unlocking PhenomII x2 550 BE

Hello every one. i am new to this forum and was wanting to know if anyone can try to help me out.

I just got a PhenomII x2 550 BE cpu and a Gigabyte ma785g-ud3h Motherboard. and come to find out i chould unlock it to a quad. well i tried i put the EC firmware selection to hybrid and the acc to auto and the post say PhenomII x4 b50 and cpu z shows all 4 cores are on but when i prime95 the 1st worker stops working about 2-3 secs after i start. does this mean that i cant unlock it so its stable or do i need to do some other things to make it work??

Hello every one. i am new to this forum and was wanting to know if anyone can try to help me out.

I just got a PhenomII x2 550 BE cpu and a Gigabyte ma785g-ud3h Motherboard. and come to find out i chould unlock it to a quad. well i tried i put the EC firmware selection to hybrid and the acc to auto and the post say PhenomII x4 b50 and cpu z shows all 4 cores are on but when i prime95 the 1st worker stops working about 2-3 secs after i start. does this mean that i cant unlock it so its stable or do i need to do some other things to make it work??

Try adding more cpu volts and check it. try 1.4v as if it were a real quad it would run at least 1.35v. If it does okay you could try dropping the vcore a bit and checking stability. I have heard a few 550s work perfect in 32bit OS's and fail completely in 64bit. It could be one of many things that made the chip come out as a 550 instead of the quad. It could even be in the imc. Try different things such as NB and memory settings such as speed and timings. You may get lucky and be able to have a perfectly working quad without the sacrifice of too much. I seen a 3 core run 4 only at ddr800. Anything above would fail prime. But the phenom2 with 800mhz ram is still darn good and the sacrifice was minimal on overall performance. there is only small gains from 800 to 1333 which a whole extra core makes completely moot.

• 3 weeks later...
If u have a faulty core, try just tri core if u have the option to choose. My mobo has it and I can choose from single to quad core. I have a 550 and I decided to overclock it higher instead of unlocking cores.

Sorry for the late replay but what kind of m/b do you have? model and make plz. and where would i find out if i can just unlock one core?