New Build.. New to OC'ing.. AMD Clock Software

Excellent. My results were about the same. Now you can safely overclock as much as you want (within reasonable boundaries of course) and watch the temp which shouldn't go above 55-60C.

As you have discovered where your cpu multi is hidden in the bios...all you need to do now is acquire the knowledge of overclocking and thats it.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Excellent. My results were about the same. Now you can safely overclock as much as you want (within reasonable boundaries of course) and watch the temp which shouldn't go above 55-60C.

As you have discovered where your cpu multi is hidden in the bios...all you need to do now is acquire the knowledge of overclocking and thats it.

Ok, i bluescreend at 3.6ghz during the 15 min OCCT test.. is that normal? 1.28v idles at 25c.. time to up the voltage a little bit, but i was hoping i could hit 3.6 with stock liek you said

-----------------------------------------

1.31v

3.6ghz

15 min test passed

post-69895-1260152478_thumb.png

Edited by compbrainiac

All chips are different so it's not bad that you didn't pass it. Just repeat the process untill only uping the voltage doesn't do it anymore...thats what your CPU's max will be. Then you gotta put some other stuff in the equations so that it will go higher. My cpu's max is at 3.9Ghz. It simply won't boot into windows if I try 4.0Ghz. Lol ask anyone and they'll tell you how long I tried to get it and nothing worked. Only time I can get it to 4.0Ghz is when I disable all but 1 core on the CPU...but thats just stupid. Anyway...just continue and you will get to the top. It's looking good so far.

All chips are different so it's not bad that you didn't pass it. Just repeat the process untill only uping the voltage doesn't do it anymore...thats what your CPU's max will be. Then you gotta put some other stuff in the equations so that it will go higher. My cpu's max is at 3.9Ghz. It simply won't boot into windows if I try 4.0Ghz. Lol ask anyone and they'll tell you how long I tried to get it and nothing worked. Only time I can get it to 4.0Ghz is when I disable all but 1 core on the CPU...but thats just stupid. Anyway...just continue and you will get to the top. It's looking good so far.

Do you recommended I do a 12 hr test with OCCT?

Thanks a lot you been a ton of help.. Talk to you soon

Edited by compbrainiac

Well...the 15min tests are good for stability in between overclocks, but after you are happy with your final result you want to do a 12 hour test with occt or prime95 or whatever...just to be sure that it's as stable as it would be on stock speeds and volts. If it passes then your set for life with that chip. If not then modifications are required. I think Intel Burn Test (works also for AMD) was one of the stress testers that could tell you if your system is stable for only 3 hours instead of 12...something like that.

Glad I can be of help. :)

Edited by ballist1x

Well...the 15min tests are good for stability in between overclocks, but after you are happy with your final result you want to do a 12 hour test with occt or prime95 or whatever...just to be sure that it's as stable as it would be on stock speeds and volts. If it passes then your set for life with that chip. If not then modifications are required. I think Intel Burn Test (works also for AMD) was one of the stress testers that could tell you if your system is stable for only 3 hours instead of 12...something like that.

Glad I can be of help. :)

Hey I upped ghz to 3.7.. volts are 1.36v.. maxed out at 35.5c idle 29c... i dont have to worry about volts til 1.5v right? and highest cpu temp of 45 max load to be safe..

post-69895-1260163052_thumb.png

Won't be able to tell unless you try it. Mine won't boot beyond 3.9Ghz but maybe yours will. Temps should be fine till 55C and volts till 1.55 as insan3 said. Up until now things seem to be going excellent since you passed the OCCT test.

A certain amount of ghz isn't something that determines "safe". It's the temp on number 1 priority. If IT gets too high then back down with the volts and that might also mean with the Ghz. I've seen this CPU be overclocked with multiplier ONLY and 1.48Vcore on 4.0Ghz which is very nice. Mine can't go to 4.0Ghz no matter what I do. See how far you can go without touching anything but the volts and the multi, when only that doesn't cut it anymore you will probably want to try some other stuff to in order to squeeze some more power. Though so far it's as stable as it gets from what I can see + reasonable temps which is nice. :)

nice nice, thanks alot, sorry for always needing you to reassure myself.. I just dont want to break anything

Looks like ill have something to do tonight, aka hit 4.0ghz then OCCT while I sleep..

PS - When I did ECC befoer I did any overclocking.. My computer would freeze on "Starting windows" right after post.. Maybe I have a better chance of unlocking cores with the higher voltage now? If I goto bios it reads the 4 cores, just hangs where i said..

Edited by compbrainiac

You could probably unlock the 2 extra cores but it's highly unlikely with a 4.0ghz CPU and only air. Though there are people that succeed. I personally can't. I can unlock the 2 cores with a slight overclock. I prefer higher clock with 2 cpus since there aren't many games n stuff that take advantage of quad core technology yet. But thats why it's a nice cpu, because even when not overclocked at 3.1Ghz it's gonna last for a very long time considering that even todays standards are about 2.5Ghz in order for your game to run (thats talkin about the CPU). This means that one day when games start using quad core technology, you will simply need (if u want) to shift it a bit: activate quad core, and lower the speed to say...3.5-3.4Ghz. Though I don't like the fact that I can't monitor my temps with quad enabled, nor with Tri.