AM3 Phenom X4 965 and RAM question...

This is my first overclock, but I'm computer literate and buying all new components to retire a K7 Thunder. I could use RAM advice.

I purchased an MSI 790FX-GD70. I'm waiting for a good Phenom X4 965 price -not in a rush. I heard Crucial Ballistix overclocks well, and I have my eye on G.Skill Ripjaws. Should I go with 1600 DDR3's and lower timings or 2000 speed -I know this setup may not be stable more than 1800.

What works better for speed?

Thanks.

That's a good question. I def. suggest going w/ the 2K RipJaws, :lol: your gonna be paying the same price if you go on NewEgg and buy them. You can just lower the timings nice and tight to 7-7-7-20 @ 1600 1.6V. And I'm sure they'll work fine. Just read up on the reviews of them and there performance w/ certain AM# boards. :)

That's a good question. I def. suggest going w/ the 2K RipJaws, :lol: your gonna be paying the same price if you go on NewEgg and buy them. You can just lower the timings nice and tight to 7-7-7-20 @ 1600 1.6V. And I'm sure they'll work fine. Just read up on the reviews of them and there performance w/ certain AM# boards. :)

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll keep your specs in mind. Maybe you can enlighten me more. Is the processor placing a restriction on memory speed or it it the BIOS/motherboard:blink:? I don't want to shell out money too quickly for new hardware upgrades :).

That board is supposed to be able to handle oc'd memory up to 2133, according to MSI. If it were me I would seriously consider some 1800 or 2000 memory that can more fully utilize the boards capabilities. It's just too bad that the memories optimized for AMD Black processors (BEMP) are only available in 1600 or lower right now, but if your not in a hurry, I think a couple of sticks of BEMP rated for 2000 would be the ticket for you and I'm pretty sure that faster speeds will be coming out soon.

That board is supposed to be able to handle oc'd memory up to 2133, according to MSI. If it were me I would seriously consider some 1800 or 2000 memory that can more fully utilize the boards capabilities. It's just too bad that the memories optimized for AMD Black processors (BEMP) are only available in 1600 or lower right now, but if your not in a hurry, I think a couple of sticks of BEMP rated for 2000 would be the ticket for you and I'm pretty sure that faster speeds will be coming out soon.

Thanks Scottike. I wasn't aware MSI's board handled faster memory. So, the processor's setting a limit. I think I'll go with MJCRO's advice, buy faster memory and tighten timings as much as possible. I'm seeing stable specs between 1700-1800 with this setup in other forums.

Crucial Ballistix are better I think...though the RipJaws are also up there. Also yes they do oc well(the crucials), but like waco said...ram doesn't matter much in this case. Just don't get 4 sticks...2 is always better.

Edited by ballist1x