i7 - Clock Multiplier Fluctuating

perki104

I recently achieved some quality stable settings with my i7 setup in Windows 7:

819071.png

The only thing I've noticed is that my clock multiplier is fluctuating from x16 to x12. In reading about this online, it appears that this is due to some intel features that dial down the hardware during idle or low activity and that there are several settings that I can disable to stop this from happening. Some information online reports that this is a good thing as it keeps your CPU temperatures low when not under load and lengthens the life of components.

The first question I have is, the multiplier appears to change every 5 to 10 seconds from 12 to 16 when monitoring it on CoreTemp. But when I load CPU-Z it does not indicate that the clock multiplier is fluctuating at all. Could CoreTemp be reporting some bogus information or is CPU-Z just showing the settings?

The second question is, if the clock multiplier is actually changing as reported by CoreTemp (every 5 to 10 seconds) is this a good thing or a bad thing considering what some say about lengthening the life of the components? I could see this being a benefit if it was staying at x12 and ramping up to x16 when I run intensive applications. It just seems unlikely that the multiplier changing every 5 to 10 seconds can be good for the CPU.

What's the scoop?

These are power saving features, EIST, or speed step, or C1E.

If your were to disable these in your bios, you stop seeing those fluctuations. But they are there to save you power usage.

These are power saving features, EIST, or speed step, or C1E.

If your were to disable these in your bios, you stop seeing those fluctuations. But they are there to save you power usage.

+1 :withstupid: yep, what he said...