Bad News For LGA-1156 Foxconn Socket Users

any builder worth a spit already does this...

Uhhh, no? lol

Even though the board is under warranty, you still end up with a dead processor that Intel is not likely to replace...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Uhhh, no? lol

Even though the board is under warranty, you still end up with a dead processor that Intel is not likely to replace...

I'd like to hear from someone that tried to send a burnt cpu back to Intel, should be interesting.

No, I didn't OC it, really :lol:

OK, since the mods and reviewers are getting upset at me for disputing an unsubstantiated "news article" I'll let it be.

So, whether cpureview posted first or you did, it just goes to show how these things spread, look at all the coverage from XS's forum post.

The references show that all were extreme oc's (some even beta testers and cascade) and nothing shows that this is affecting, increasing or even including the normal OC community at this time (I'm not saying it won't at some point), all I needed to know.

Thanks, ScapeGoat

I sincerely think you dramatized what I was pretending to transmit with the news. Do not also forget that we are not talking about low-end motherboards and it's excepted for a user that buys a high quality product not to have problems with tasks some motherboards are aimed to do.

And yes, If I said the problem was getting pretty frequent/common and happening with basic tasks performed by the average user it would be unsubstantiated but this is not the case.

I also understand you have the right to question something you think is not right (like I said before) so I am not offended with your opinion. Getting to see what the user thinks also helps me improve my work and that is important.

Regards,

Ruben

I've had my MSI P55-GD65 (one of the major offenders as I understand) and 860 at 4ghz 24/7 since I got the H50 bracket almost 2 months now and no problems with burned sockets here. Knowing it's a Foxconn I check it every so often. Like someone said earlier, I think it's more common with extreme overclockers w/Dice, LN2, Extreme water cooling past the 5ghz barrier either way never the less. I think most of us are fine. I would like a 5ghz gaming machine but that seems a bit unrealistic with current technology, mainly because of the heat.

Edited by Hedghawg71

There has been one (1!) report of a burnt socket which supposedly happened at stock speeds. AFAIK, all the others have been under extreme cooling.

There are more than that !

OK, since the mods and reviewers are getting upset at me for disputing an unsubstantiated "news article" I'll let it be.

So, whether cpureview posted first or you did, it just goes to show how these things spread, look at all the coverage from XS's forum post.

The references show that all were extreme oc's (some even beta testers and cascade) and nothing shows that this is affecting, increasing or even including the normal OC community at this time (I'm not saying it won't at some point), all I needed to know.

Thanks, ScapeGoat

Quite the opposite here. If you take the time to go through the articles and threads the problem lies with he fact that many pins do not make good enough contact in the socket. Fewer contacts leave fewer avenues for the current to flow so you have problems. Im not the doomsday machine but it happens.

Quite the opposite here. If you take the time to go through the articles and threads the problem lies with he fact that many pins do not make good enough contact in the socket. Fewer contacts leave fewer avenues for the current to flow so you have problems. Im not the doomsday machine but it happens.

Well, I thought I was done with this thread, guess not.

I did take the time to read all the articles and every post on XS for the thread so often used for these articles.

Here's one for you:

post-65878-1257905171_thumb.jpg

http://alienbabeltech.com/abt//viewtopic.php?t=17351

No one disputes the fact that the socket is poorly designed and may cause problems, is it causing problems for non and standard overclocks and getting worse as stated by the "news article" in question? I was just looking for confirmation on that fact since it was stated in the news article. If you have something conclusive to add that would clear this up by all means reference away, always ready to admit when I'm wrong, just ask my wife.

Edited by RJR

Actually, if it turns out that the cpu's are frying at stock speed that would be GREAT. Intel would have to replace them and your motherboard manufacturer would have to replace your board (hopefully with an updated socket version) which means you can OC away with no worries at all. :lol:

Well If EVGA is exclusively using Lotes sockets on their upper models and they're higher quality, will they run crossfire nativley like the rest "asus,msi,gigabyte, etc." of the P55's do. I know the EVGA X58's don't "officially". Because if they did I'd be interested in one. This may be a little off topic, but I figured what the heck, I'll ask. I'm looking to build one for a friend and I don't want him coming back to me with a fried motherboard I gotta come outta pocket for. I have no problems with mine so far (taps on glass to cover my :O ) but maybe I've been lucky so far. :thumbs-up:

I was just on the Egg and it looks like they have some of the Gigabyte P55A boards available (UD4P,UD6), from the pictures they are using the Lotes socket. I'm sure soon there will be many more available with this socket.

Bad contact is bad contact...over time it will fail. Extreme clocking only accelerates the existing problem.

Anyway - I won't be buying any 1156 boards with a Foxconn socket for a while until I see real reports that the issue has been fixed.