Laptop won't stay in Sleep/Standby

JBags

Hey guys,

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, so mods, if this is in the wrong forum, please move it. thanks.

Anyway,

As the title says, my laptop won't stay in standby mode...

yes, i recently dropped it.. but I don't understand this behavior.

I usually take my laptop to class, and then to work (so I can watch Heroes at work, so I don't miss it :P ) anyway, i put it in standby so it doesn't drain the battery just sitting there idling in my backpack. By the time Heroes approaches, I take my laptop out only to find it's on and the battery is almost dead.

Standby has worked in the past normally, I know this as I once left it in standby for three days unplugged and it still had >50% of battery remaining. I don't understand why it's doing this..

today I checked it after class, time period since i put it to sleep: 1.5 hours, and it was not in standby... :blink:

so it's basically not even staying in standby state for 1.5 hours..and i KNOW i put it in standby because i sat there and watched it do so before I closed the screen, and even the front light pulses slowly when in standby, so i know it went into standby..

this is really weird and as far as I know, I haven't changed any settings...

any help/ideas is/are appreciated!

Thanks,

John

I have the same issue with my old tecra M2, standby and hibernate don't work. I'll be interested to see if anyone has a solution for this. I didn't damage my laptop in anyway though XD

Arnie~

Edited by ArnieF4440

It is because either a device, or piece of hardware is waking it up. You need to find out what it is, then turn it off:

1. Click Start

2. Search for "CMD"

3. Right Click CMD (Commond Prompt) and select Run as Admin

4. Type "powercfg -devicequery wake_armed" without the quotations and make sure you have spacing correct

5. Press Enter

It will now list the hardware that can wake up the computer during sleep. You can either use the "powercfg -devicedisablewake" command to disable this capability, or do it using the Properties of the device in Device Manager.

Problem solved. :)

It is because either a device, or piece of hardware is waking it up. You need to find out what it is, then turn it off:

1. Click Start

2. Search for "CMD"

3. Right Click CMD (Commond Prompt) and select Run as Admin

4. Type "powercfg -devicequery wake_armed" without the quotations and make sure you have spacing correct

5. Press Enter

It will now list the hardware that can wake up the computer during sleep. You can either use the "powercfg -devicedisablewake" command to disable this capability, or do it using the Properties of the device in Device Manager.

Problem solved. :)

Okay, I'll give this a try.

I'll post an update once I do

Thanks