GTX295 or 5870HD

ArnieF4440

GTX 295 or 5870HD Vapor-X?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which is card better

• Nvidia GTX 295
    • Sapphire Radeon 5870

Exactly, like I won't ignore the beauty of having cuda abilities, but at the same time I personally don't use them but they are certainly a good investment. (Hence why I'm currently an ATI man) Both companies have their merits

As for the ATI price hikes lately....I don't like it and if they keep it up I'll be a green man again :lol:

Ya the pricing is starting to get out of wack again. I was hoping that they would have dropped the price on the 5800 series and had the 5900 series under $500 but that was wishful thinking :(

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya the pricing is starting to get out of wack again. I was hoping that they would have dropped the price on the 5800 series and had the 5900 series under $500 but that was wishful thinking :(

I hope they don't touch the 5770, that card has really grown on me and the price is right. The 5850 and 5870 have lost some of my interest with their new pricing, it'd be one thing if they could actually stock the cards, but raising the price and not even selling them is stupid. IMHO :D

Perhaps we can work something out for your Veloci trader for my 5770. I am on the fence of keeping it until they drop to crossfire or going with a 5850.

With all due respect Bosco, how many people ACTUALLY require and want CUDA support? I realize it is there. It is not proprietary, so ATI or anyone else could simply take it upon themselves to start supporting it ... but what is the point? Why waste time traveling down a road that you aren't really sure of? I would be concentrating on more important things, which I think ATI is doing.

NVIDIA has been overpriced for years, and the moment ATI wants to raise their prices a bit everyone throws a hissy fit. It's business. Like it or not ATI takes the cake right now at the price:performance ratio.

Perhaps we can work something out for your Veloci trader for my 5770. I am on the fence of keeping it until they drop to crossfire or going with a 5850.

With all due respect Bosco, how many people ACTUALLY require and want CUDA support? I realize it is there. It is not proprietary, so ATI or anyone else could simply take it upon themselves to start supporting it ... but what is the point? Why waste time traveling down a road that you aren't really sure of? I would be concentrating on more important things, which I think ATI is doing.

NVIDIA has been overpriced for years, and the moment ATI wants to raise their prices a bit everyone throws a hissy fit. It's business. Like it or not ATI takes the cake right now at the price:performance ratio.

I think Bosco does alot of video work, and I know there are alot of CUDA apps that aid in that. I'm 99% gamer now (since I quit game design as a major and shifted to engineering) so all I need is the best gaming performance for the dollar and that's ATI.

As for the 5770, I don't need it :P just really like it. I have a 4870x2 and 8800GT

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Actually with Nvidia grabbing video and picture editing including Hollywood its going to be bigger then you think. With Producers being able to code videos in mins instead of hours the door they have opened is huge. Alot of us gamers are not looking at the big picture. Ati was supposed to be going this route and also physX, 4 years ago and we are still for them to do something. The longer ATI waits to do something the the worse they are going to be. Gaming is a very small market everyone knows that and Nvidia continues to pull ahead even when they are loosing the performance crown. A few weeks ago a movie director was saying how it was taking him 24 hours to render one frame for a movie and he was doing it in a few mins with Cuda that is huge money savings in production costs its in the millions. Thats all I am saying the more things that become available the more popular it will become.

I am a huge gamer prob more so then alot of people here and I do other stuff on the side with video editing and such so Nvidia makes sense since ATI has nothing. If they had something to counter with but they don't which is sad for all of us.

As for pricing its always gone back and forth I remember when the 9700 and 9800 series stuff was $700 so it goes both ways. Based on their current pricing I would expect to see a starting price of $700 on a new X2 if their prices hold :(

Actually with Nvidia grabbing video and picture editing including Hollywood its going to be bigger then you think. With Producers being able to code videos in mins instead of hours the door they have opened is huge. Alot of us gamers are not looking at the big picture. Ati was supposed to be going this route and also physX, 4 years ago and we are still for them to do something. The longer ATI waits to do something the the worse they are going to be. Gaming is a very small market everyone knows that and Nvidia continues to pull ahead even when they are loosing the performance crown. A few weeks ago a movie director was saying how it was taking him 24 hours to render one frame for a movie and he was doing it in a few mins with Cuda that is huge money savings in production costs its in the millions. Thats all I am saying the more things that become available the more popular it will become.

I am a huge gamer prob more so then alot of people here and I do other stuff on the side with video editing and such so Nvidia makes sense since ATI has nothing. If they had something to counter with but they don't which is sad for all of us.

As for pricing its always gone back and forth I remember when the 9700 and 9800 series stuff was $700 so it goes both ways. Based on their current pricing I would expect to see a starting price of $700 on a new X2 if their prices hold :(

This :thumbs-up: my sentiments exactly