HELP new build problems

Just finished building my new pc, the spec is

gigabyte ex-58-ud3r revision 1.6 with the latest bios.

i7 920 cpu

6gb kingston khx12800d3llk3/6gx memory.

ati 1gb hd4890

thermatake 750w psu

60gb ocz agility ssd

megahalems cooler with 2x scyhte 1900rpm slipstreams in push pull.

antec 1200 case

Everthing seems to run ok, i only ran prime95 for about an hour but it seems stable - temps max out at just over 60c with hyperthreading turned off, and about 35c idle. The problem i am having is low memory bandwidth. In sis sandra bandwidth test i get 13.265gb/s and everest gives 15148MB/s read, 15163MB/s write, 18544MB/s copy and latency 34.6ns . Which seem to be very low to me!!! I've read that gigabyte boards do have lower bandwidth in testing than some boards, but are they supposed to be that low??? I'm running at these settings -

CPU Clock ratio = 20

Advanced CPU Features:

CPU Clock ratio = 20

Turbo = Enabled

Cores Enabled = All

Multi-Threading = Disabled

Advanced halt [C1E] = Disabled

C3/C6/C7: Disabled

Thermal monitor = Disabled

CPU EIST Function = Enabled - tried this disabled - didn't make any difference!!

Virtualisation = Enabled

BI-Directional PROCHOT = Enabled

QPI Link Speed = Auto

UnCore/QPI Features:

QPI Link Speed = Auto (3510)

UnCore Frequency = 17

Isochronous Support = Enabled

Base Clock Frequency (BCLK) Control = Enabled

Frequency = 195

core speed = 4095

performance enhance - turbo

system memory multiplier - 10x

dram 8-8-8-20-1

llc enabled

cpu vcore 1.35 bios (1.312 under load)

qpi/vtt - auto

ioh - auto

dram - 1.66

Any help for the experts out there, greatly appreciated :withstupid:

i have no trouble with the ud5 ..:huh:

and WELCOME TO OCC........:)

....did you oc the cpu ..?

i bet you did with that cooler..:D

and do you get the same result with hyper threading turned on..?

Edited by N.E.A

i have no trouble with the ud5 ..:huh:

and WELCOME TO OCC........:)

....did you oc the cpu ..?

i bet you did with that cooler..:D

and do you get the same result with hyper threading turned on..?

thnx for the reply, cpu running at just over 4ghz :D Happy with the board just not sure what the issue with the memory bandwidth is :( Yes i have tried switching hyperthreading on, didn't make any difference. I've ordered a ud5 in case this turns out to be a duff board. Don't know whether to keep the ud3r or the ud5 when i get it, how are you finding your ud5, is it worth the extra moolah???

thnx for the reply, cpu running at just over 4ghz :D Happy with the board just not sure what the issue with the memory bandwidth is :( Yes i have tried switching hyperthreading on, didn't make any difference. I've ordered a ud5 in case this turns out to be a duff board. Don't know whether to keep the ud3r or the ud5 when i get it, how are you finding your ud5, is it worth the extra moolah???

one of our members here has the same cooler and got beyond 4.0 i think he runs at 4.5 or some thing like that ..

the board is fine ..the only thing that makes it a bit crappy for x58 is lack of 6 dims and sli and these are not big deal to some

any way my board is very very overclockable and runs very cool and i think it can perform like the extreme but i think i wasted money on it since ud4p can give almost the same result , i got this one cause the south bridge cooler looks nicer and i thought it will cool better and the dual gigabit lan too ..and i found out the dual lan is over kill :( ,,but still nice board ..

did you get the same thing with the previous bios ..?

and i can not get my 920 pass 3.6 because of the vendetta 2 ..the temps are fine but i do not want to go beyond 63c ..;)

i will get another cooler maybe the one you have :D since i want to get to 3.9 with very low temps ..

Edited by N.E.A

one of our members here has the same cooler and got beyond 4.0 i think he runs at 4.5 or some thing like that ..

the board is fine ..the only thing that makes it a bit crappy for x58 is lack of 6 dims and sli and these are not big deal to some

any way my board is very very overclockable and runs very cool and i think it can perform like the extreme but i think i wasted money on it since ud4p can give almost the same result , i got this one cause the south bridge cooler looks nicer and i thought it will cool better and the dual gigabit lan too ..and i found out the dual lan is over kill :( ,,but still nice board ..

did you get the same thing with the previous bios ..?

hmmmm never really considered the ud4p, i've always been an asus man myself, my last p45 p5q-e oc'd very well. I was put off getting the p6t deluxe v2 by the reports of lots of board failures recently. Anyway, i didn't update the bios as it came with the latest bios. I run crossfire setup here, but my understanding is it can do sli with a bios update. Busy runninng some benchies on 3dmark/vantage at the moment (got 20554 with 3dmark06 with single 4890 - i think that's in the right ballpark with my oc :) ), i'll have another go with hyperthreading switched on when vantage finishes testing.

hmmmm never really considered the ud4p, i've always been an asus man myself, my last p45 p5q-e oc'd very well. I was put off getting the p6t deluxe v2 by the reports of lots of board failures recently. Anyway, i didn't update the bios as it came with the latest bios. I run crossfire setup here, but my understanding is it can do sli with a bios update. Busy runninng some benchies on 3dmark/vantage at the moment (got 20554 with 3dmark06 with single 4890 - i think that's in the right ballpark with my oc :) ), i'll have another go with hyperthreading switched on when vantage finishes testing.

yeah asus rocks ..i do not know about the v2 but the deluxe (v1) was bad ..but you will need sli bridge

any way good luck with your tests , and would you feel any difference if the bandwidth changed ..? i mean going from 13.6 to 16 will not make a huge difference and i think you will not notice it ..will ya ..?

yeah asus rocks ..i do not know about the v2 but the deluxe (v1) was bad ..but you will need sli bridge

any way good luck with your tests , and would you feel any difference if the bandwidth changed ..? i mean going from 13.6 to 16 will not make a huge difference and i think you will not notice it ..will ya ..?

well i switched on hyperthreading and it made no difference. Unless i'm reading the article wrong, i should be getting about 25gb/s not 13.6, more as the memory is running at 1950mhz!! - http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/07/01/re..._cpu/print.html . Any other ideas apart from a big hammer :withstupid:

any other suggestions i'm still getting nowhere fast :withstupid:post-69287-1257065788_thumb.jpg

well after a week of head scratching i'm no further forward. I've decided to return board and get something else. I've drawn up a shortlist, gigabyte ud5 , asus p6t, asus p6t deluxe v2, i want to keep the cost under