Cool a Core i5, liquid or air?

alienbri

With the stock Intel HS/Fan, I converted a movie this weekend and noticed my processor was on full load for about 15 minutes. Not even 1 minute into the convert, I noticed the temps shot up to 64c!!! Even when I game for hours on end, the highest I had ever seen the system go was 41.5c.

Needless to say, I am concerned. I haven't OCed and it hit the mid 60's? Intel's stock cooler bites. So here is my dilemma:

Water or Air?

Here are some things I've been thinking about:

Thermalright MUX-120 (when it is available)

Corsair H50 (just released the 1156 bracket)

Swiftech 240 res/rad + Swiftech pump + cpu block

I have a CM-HAF922 case with great airflow. I don't want to spend a lot of money. But then again, I don't want my processor to fry itself.

What do you think?

It really depends on what your OC goals are. If you plan to really beat the snot out of it you may want to consider water or other means. If you wish to simply get a bit of a boost out of it air is more than sufficient with the right cooler.

For air I really LOVE my AC Freezer Pro 7 Rev. 2 ... it keeps my AIIX4 very cool even under a somewhat extreme OC. It also comes with the proper mount for 1156.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835186134

With the stock Intel HS/Fan, I converted a movie this weekend and noticed my processor was on full load for about 15 minutes. Not even 1 minute into the convert, I noticed the temps shot up to 64c!!! Even when I game for hours on end, the highest I had ever seen the system go was 41.5c.

Needless to say, I am concerned. I haven't OCed and it hit the mid 60's? Intel's stock cooler bites. So here is my dilemma:

Water or Air?

I have a CM-HAF922 case with great airflow. I don't want to spend a lot of money. But then again, I don't want my processor to fry itself.

What do you think?

the coolermaster tx3 in sig keeps my temps at or below 50 under load (i'm folding 2 gpu's+1cpu+web browsing atm "temp 49c) and costs very little which is good for a mild oc, 3.5 ghz. but i also decided to get into water cooling and bought a danger den mc-tdx and ac pump because oc'ing is important to me....now if i could just find the radiator i want i'd have it all....

Water or Air?

What do you think?

bleh i dont trust water theres been mutliple times i could of gotten a decent water cooling system cheap and i still steered away.. im just so scared that it would leak and ruin my stuff and the risk isnt worth the gain.. id say get a high quality tower cooler... ive been told the noctua tower coolers are some of the better ones. i just use a cheap 30 dollar ocz vendetta 2 with direct heat pipes and it works pretty darn good too.