Need recommendations for air cooling

They're not valid because your cpu is running with power saving modes via the BIOS. To get valid "idle" temps you need to run it at stock vid and stock clocks with little or no load whatsoever on the cpu, hence "idle" temps compared to "load" temps.

kthanxbye! :rolleyes:

Edited by damian

They're not valid because your cpu is running with power saving modes via the BIOS. To get valid "idle" temps you need to run it at stock vid and stock clocks with little or no load whatsoever on the cpu, hence "idle" temps compared to "load" temps.

kthanxbye! :rolleyes:

No, an idle temp is an idle temp. If he were to build an i7 with the prolimatech and booted up with no load on the cpu those are in fact the temps he would get. So it's absolutely valid. Your referring to a specific idle temp with a specific voltage in mind. In essence you'd be telling anyone with an i7 the only way to get "real" temps is to adjust the voltage or disable speedstep. Now would an average user even know what your talking about? if you would like to show the user temps at that voltage feel free. But the fact of the matter is 100% of time anyone would be running the same voltage and idle temps that i was "without" any tweaking. Thats that. No ones is saying your wrong in the general statement your making. But this thread is about a good cooler. I posted a pic showing good temps with an idle cpu. I'm pretty sure he got the answer he was looking for. Glad to be of help. :D

My ambient temp is 68F right now. This is with a Prolimatech Megahalems with 2 Scythe 110 CFM fans. 100% full load overclocked to 4Ghz with CPUv @ 1.272.

post-31286-1253014410_thumb.jpg

These are the temps @ idle. Same overclock and same cooling. CPUv @ 1.264 idle from all night of full load after a 5 minute break.

post-31286-1253014862_thumb.jpg

EDIT: forgot Hyperthreading is enabled in both.

EDIT AGAIN: that would have been obvious I guess with the 8 threads :blush:

I've hit a suicide screenshot of 4.63Ghz with the Prolimatech and run Super-Pi 1M at 8.845s. I've yet to see anyone run that high on air. Though I'm sure several do nobody else has posted the proof of it here.

i7s run hotter than anything I've built before. Probably the best candidate for H2O cooling I've seen. If you're going to stick with air cooling I continue to recommend the Prolimatech. The i7 though is the only CPU I've seen yet that can push this cooler really hard. I can't wait to see the cooling solution for the i9.

For a little investment now you'll save yourself the headache of having to remove the motherboard and install an upgrade later. Even @ stock settings and stock voltage it performs well and is worth every penny.

I get mine here http://www.jab-tech.com/Prolimatech-Megaha...66-pr-4428.html

Make sure you buy the extra set of fan clips to run a second fan if you have the room http://www.jab-tech.com/Prolimatech-Megaha...mm-pr-4432.html

Edited by rourkchris