P5Q and Q9400 overclocking

Enjin

I decided that I want to overclock my CPU to something over 3 ghz, but I cant get it to work. I am also confused, because my CPU is supposed to be 2.66ghz factory, but I downloaded CPU-Z, and it is telling me that my core clock is 2000mhz. Its reading bus speed as 333 (I set bios to 400) and the multiplier is at 6.0 (I set the bios to 08.0)

WHats the deal?

I have the overvoltage jumper on on the mobo, and Ai Overdrive or whatchamacallit in the bios is set to manual, but not only is it not overclocking, its not even running at the speed it said on the box............

Can anyone help?

I decided that I want to overclock my CPU to something over 3 ghz, but I cant get it to work. I am also confused, because my CPU is supposed to be 2.66ghz factory, but I downloaded CPU-Z, and it is telling me that my core clock is 2000mhz. Its reading bus speed as 333 (I set bios to 400) and the multiplier is at 6.0 (I set the bios to 08.0)

WHats the deal?

I have the overvoltage jumper on on the mobo, and Ai Overdrive or whatchamacallit in the bios is set to manual, but not only is it not overclocking, its not even running at the speed it said on the box............

Can anyone help?

cpuz gives you your current clock the same as the fsb i think...try to play a game and quickly shut it down and look at cpuz you will find your cpu max clock and it will go down as long as you aren`t using it`s power to save energy that is what asus and gigabyte offer to ya...

if you want to know your cpu clock go to mycomputer and click the right click on your mouse and click properties you will see two clocks the stock and the max current one ..lets say you have a 3 ghz and you overclocked it to 3.2 you will find this core2 quad cpu 3.0,

3.2ghz

Ok, that makes sense. I have been reading through a "noob's guide to overclocking" and found something about a setting to turn that feature off...and I think I will for now.

what about the FSB though? I set it to 400..does that one reduce itself to save power too?

because In my computer is says core2quad 2.66ghz 2.67...shouldnt it say 3.2? 8CPUM x 400FSB

Ok, that makes sense. I have been reading through a "noob's guide to overclocking" and found something about a setting to turn that feature off...and I think I will for now.

what about the FSB though? I set it to 400..does that one reduce itself to save power too?

because In my computer is says core2quad 2.66ghz 2.67...shouldnt it say 3.2? 8CPUM x 400FSB

first that feature ..don`t turn it off ,it works while you don`t need that much power....

the 3.2 was just example ..i know yours is 2.66 and yes some times in properties it says a little bit higher like for instance your cpu is stock at 2.669 cpuz reads it when 100% load 2.66 or 2.669 but when looking at properties it makes 2.669=2.67 this 0.01ghz won`t make a huge diffrence ...as for fsb when you want to overclock the cpu the fsp is stock at 333 mhz correct ..try to set it to 350 ..this makes it 2.8 see if you os is stable and see the temps at idle and max and make sure you have a good cpu cooler ..at this point you can take the fsb from 350 to 355 ...must increase the fsb in baby steps not from 333 to 400 you don`t even know if it is stable at 340 ..

just i forgot this when you do any thing in the bios and you want it to stay like this you must save it ..i think that is why you set to 400 and then in the os you find that nothing has changed..and to be honest thanks, you must thank god :lol::lol::lol::lol: because if you did save it you would have had a fried cpu for dinner :lol: ...as i said take overclocking in baby steps

Edited by N.E.A

just i forgot this when you do any thing in the bios and you want it to stay like this you must save it ..i think that is why you set to 400 and then in the os you find that nothing has changed..and to be honest thanks, you must thank god :lol::lol::lol::lol: because if you did save it you would have had a fried cpu for dinner :lol: ...as i said take overclocking in baby steps

ack.....thanks for the heads up...made me look twice and notice that when I turn up the FSB, my ram speed changes too. Do I have to strictly stay under 800mhz for my ram if that's what its rated for? because If I do manage to get my FSB to run stable at 400, my ram will be at 801mhz. Should that be a problem?

and if fsb and multiplier changes the cpu speed, where does cpu voltage come in to play?

ack.....thanks for the heads up...made me look twice and notice that when I turn up the FSB, my ram speed changes too. Do I have to strictly stay under 800mhz for my ram if that's what its rated for? because If I do manage to get my FSB to run stable at 400, my ram will be at 801mhz. Should that be a problem?

and if fsb and multiplier changes the cpu speed, where does cpu voltage come in to play?

no you don`t need to stay under 800 ...but i need to know what type of ram do you have..? ...if you have a ram with a heat sink lets say like kingstone hyperx you can go to 1066 if you can ...but lets face it there is no performance diffrence only scoers in benchmarks..and good for you that you got the fsb stabel ..as for the voltage i didn`t have to increase the voltage so far ...you only need to increase it when the cpu runs unstabel but i am not 100% sure of that more like 80% but if you say that the os is stabel you don`t need to change the voltage ...and just to be sure try to play a game or do a benchmark ..and see if there is lag if you see any lag and you are begining to get worried low the overclock little bit..

oook.... my computer wont start at all now..

I put the overvolt jumper back where it started, took out the bios battery and cut the power to make certain everything was reset, and now the computer just keeps restarting over and over... it gets to the screen where I click "start windows normally" then just shuts off and restarts..

it flashes some blue screen, but too fast for me to read it before it restarts..

Edited by Enjin

ok, starting in safemode allowed me to see the message...it reads:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware of software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000101 (0x00000031, 0x00000000, 0x803CD120, 0x0000001)

Collecting date for crash dump...

Initializing disk for crash dump...

Beginning dump of physical memory...

Dumping physical memory to disk: 100

Physical memory dump complete.

Contact your system admin or technical support group for further assistance.

I did install a new asus EAH4870x2 yesterday, but that was working fine this morning...

so did I burn my cpu out or something?

No you likely didn't burn ou your cpu. Your overclock wasn't stable and failed. I suggest you set things back to stock settings in the BIOS and don't go any further until you have some idea what you're doing.