Overclocking gone bad?

Dariuas

So, as of late, my system has become unstable. I've been using the same settings for my Overclock for 3-4 months, and just recently

everything started going haywire, so I reverted back to stock settings.

Does this mean that my hardware has been dramatically affected by the overclock stressing the system?

Hows the weather been?

Great, thanks for asking.

No power surges.

Now, I am running Prime95 and I have been for about 45m, and its not locked up once, temps are ok 72-73c

(C0/C1 stepping)

I am starting to think its prob. my ram. Do you know of a good ram stressor?

I would say there is a good chance you shouldn't have too many problems if you leave it at stock settings. I overclocked my VC once and it has had artifacts every now ans then but the card has been working for more than 6 years. I would make sure to clean out any dust in the fans and also make sure your cooling system is working properly.

I would say there is a good chance you shouldn't have too many problems if you leave it at stock settings. I overclocked my VC once and it has had artifacts every now ans then but the card has been working for more than 6 years. I would make sure to clean out any dust in the fans and also make sure your cooling system is working properly.

I have Water on my CPU and I checked VC temps while doing anything, and they stay pretty stable, no high spikes.

I have Water on my CPU and I checked VC temps while doing anything, and they stay pretty stable, no high spikes.

So I ran MemTest86 and it locks up within 10 seconds of the first check.

Damnit.

Do you guys know how OCZ's warranty exchange works?

Usually you just email them or submit for an RMA on their website. You mail them your busted RAM and once they accept it they ship you some new stuff. Sometimes you can have it crossed shipped, you buy a new set and mail your old stuff back. Once they accept your broken stuff they refund you for the new sticks you bought.

(Currently have OCZ Gold DDR3 in the system)

I ran MemTest a few times below are the test setups and test results

First Run: (OCZ Platinum)

Ram Slot 2 Channel 1, 2 and 3

7% first test: Frozen

Second Test: (OCZ Platinum)

DIMM #1 Slot 2 Channel 1

Pass

Third Test: (OCZ Platinum)

DIMM #2 Slot 2 Channel 1

Pass

Fourth Test: (OCZ Platinum)

DIMM #3 Slot 2 Channel 1

Pass

Fifth Test: (OCZ Platinum)

DIM #1, #2: Slot 2 Channel 1, 2

Crashed MemTest

Sixth Test: (OCZ Platinum)

DIM #1, #3: Slot 2 Channel 1, 2

Crashed Memtest

Seventh Test: (OCZ Platinum)

DIM #2, #3, Slot 2, Channel 1, 2

Crashed MemTest

So in order to save space, I did the rest of the tests in the different channels, and slots, with 1 and 2 sticks of ram, and if it was 1 stick, it passed, if it was 2, it crashed Memtest

Now comes the OCZ Gold

Same things happen.

Edited by Dariuas

If you are using memtest in Windows you should run it from the bootable CD version 2.11. You need to actively cool the chipset and VRM when you are water cooling that board. That brought my stability right on back at 4.1GHz.

Are you using the slots furthest from the CPU?

If you are using memtest in Windows you should run it from the bootable CD version 2.11. You need to actively cool the chipset and VRM when you are water cooling that board. That brought my stability right on back at 4.1GHz.

Are you using the slots furthest from the CPU?

I am doing it from a bootable CD.. I don't know what version, I'll check and retest, I don't know how else I can cool my ram, and I thought cooling my CPU was cooling my chipset?

Also, odd thing, only Mozilla and WoW crash on me, no other application, 3dMark06, Fallout3, Prime95, OCCT, nothing else crashes..

I created a dump file of wow crash, but I can't seem to get Visual Studio to open it up.

**I checked Memtest, and I am running 2.01

I am downloading 2.11 and checking again

Edited by Dariuas

I am doing it from a bootable CD.. I don't know what version, I'll check and retest, I don't know how else I can cool my ram, and I thought cooling my CPU was cooling my chipset?

Also, odd thing, only Mozilla and WoW crash on me, no other application, 3dMark06, Fallout3, Prime95, OCCT, nothing else crashes..

I created a dump file of wow crash, but I can't seem to get Visual Studio to open it up.

**I checked Memtest, and I am running 2.01

I am downloading 2.11 and checking again

So I did Memtest 2.11 and everything checked out.

So why is WoW and Mozilla crashing and nothing else?

Great, thanks for asking.

No power surges.

Now, I am running Prime95 and I have been for about 45m, and its not locked up once, temps are ok 72-73c

(C0/C1 stepping)

I am starting to think its prob. my ram. Do you know of a good ram stressor?

Ambient temps could affect your computer temperatures. O_o