could this work?

FIRST! click the link

even if I hooked this up to my power supply I am a little worried about a 168W current draw!! but if I could somehow use a spare "junker" 300w power supply from around the house..."maybe" this would work..guess will see!

Que Epic Fail

Peltiers require you to cool the hot side of the plate in order to remove heat from the cool side of the plate.

When done properly they can cool like an arctic blast, however properly usually means a lot more hassle then its worth.

Advanced cooling (usually a high end water system) to cool the TEC and a very good douching of dielectric grease and a lot of insulation material to combat the condensation that occurs.

It can be done air cooled but its usually not worth the effort...

As it happens, I attempted to remove the PCIe x16 slots on my motherboard tonight, as they still have traces of conformal coating (PCB lacquer) which makes them intermittently faulty... these traces are from when I did a TEC/Waterblock review... actually, this is a really good account of what is involved: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/swiftech_mcw6500t/

I would not recommend TEC cooling if you think all you need is a 300W PSU